Saturday, April 01, 2006

Car trouble....and a trip to town

BAD BAD day yesterday. Wasn't too bad in the morning except I got a call from Rob confirming that he would be going to Utah and not on Sunday but on Saturday. Which blew my plans for Saturday (more later).

I was picking Oz up from Louise's house - drove into her private car park - very narrow passageway into a teeny car park - no space to park - or to turn around - so I had to reverse out again. I HATE reversing. I'm totally crap at it - always have been - I turn the wheel the wrong way, I hate going backwards. I get it out of the passageway (there's only about 2 inches clearance on each side) and am relieved and turn the car to go out onto the road - and the next thing I know, there's a crunch and a scratching sound and the front of my car falls off. I have NO idea how I did it. I didn't seem to hit anything but I must have done. The whole bumper came off, complete with number plate.

I didn't know what to do! I pulled over to the side of the road and picked up the bumper...getting some sniggers from ever so helpful passing traffic....then rang my Mum! She suggested I park the car in a car park nearby - put the bumper in Louise's car park and go get Oscar. Eventually Sue her friend with a hatchback, came and got the bumper and I drove to Mum's house with Oz. There was something dragging on the front wheel so I wasn't happy to drive home - I rang my breakdown cover who took an hour to come out. They towed me home - Oz was very excited to be in a lorry.....Mum took pics.

It took all afternoon to get it sorted - I originally was going to claim it on my insurance - I have a protected no claims bonus - but didn't in the end and my local garage who are amazing fixed the front back on temporarily and I'm booked in for a service on Monday.

God knows how much it will cost. Oscar was difficult too - especially at the garage - so many deadly and dangerous things to try and play with....


I was shattered last night but still went out to Biggin Hill for Alison's birthday meal. It was lovely and I'm really glad I went - great food, great company. Happy Birthday Al - know you're not having a brill one but lots of love from us anyway.

So on to today....Rob was supposed to be childminding as my friend Andrea had free tickets to the Ideal Home Show. I've always wanted to go...but now I had no childcare - no one could help - my Mum was out all day....so I took Oscar! Bonkers. He wasn't as bad as he could have been - we travelled up to town on the same train as Mum so she kept him amused. He went to sleep at Victoria then woke up once we'd arrived at Earls Court. He lost it a few times....I had my colours read (by choosing a little bottle with coloured water in - very interesting - more another time) and he wouldn't sit still for me to listen. He didn't want to be in the buggy but didn't want to walk.....I managed to see a bit of the show and get a few free samples of cheese and alcohol. I was determined not to spend any money but I did buy some fudge, and a bottle of the most amazing Irish Cream Praline liqueur - like drinking alcoholic liquidized ferrero rocher.

So that's my next few nights sorted!

We left Andrea to it at 3pm - we'd only been there about 2 hours but Oz had had enough. He was fine on the train on the way home and fell asleep in the car. I'm about to wake him up so he sleeps tonight. I'm so tired and I'm all on my own for a few days so I need a good night's sleep tonight.

I treated myself to one more thing - there's a wasabi sushi stand at Victoria (there used to be only one in London at Charing Cross so it was a pleasant surprise to find it today)- you can choose your own sushi - it's £1 per 2 pieces and it's yummy - so that's my dinner - sushi followed by alcohol. Yum!

Right - off to wake the munchkin!

2 comments:

Al said...

Great to see you yesterday. Thanks for coming. My birthday outing as a kid/teenager was always to the Ideal Home Show, I haven't been in years, do they still have that stall that sells what looks like boxes of plastic squares which miraculously turn into quavers when they hit hot oil?!!!

More than welcome to bring Oscar here monday morning for a few hours. I'm at hospital with Jack at 2.30 but with the two big boys home they could help wear him out before his afternoon nap.

Alx

Unknown said...

Oh Sall, you poor thing with your car. I would have been in tears. but then Im not a driver and have no plans to be any time soon.
Well done on taking Oz and mammouth car/train journeys to the exhibition. When Tom was a baby I did a bit of travelling on trains but soon gave up when he got to be a toddler and I had Ruby too. Youre very brave! Well done you for not spending too much dosh either, that liqueur sounds lush.
Hope you enjoyed your sushi and alcohol tea. I love sushi but have never had the proper stuff, just crappy sealed bits from Boots. Sounds like a lovely Sat night, light meal, booze and bed.
Nos da love
Kell xxxxx