Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Vexed....with PMT (Though had a lovely day before that!)

Just have to get this out before I get to my lovely day with Lydia and Lesley...on Monday something happened which really annoyed me. Went with Oscar to the soft play place at my gym - I'm a regular there - I'd accidentally washed Oscar's membership card which is cardboard so explained at the desk. The new receptionist who is about 12 and all attitude, basically accused me of lying - saying that most people kept the cards in their plastic wallet so they didn't disintegrate in the wash and that I should have brought the bits in to prove it as anyone could say they'd washed it. She was very rude and when I told her this she was "you want to talk to a manager?" - wiggling her head as she said it. A manager walked past and said she was only doing her job - that if I didn't have the card I'd have to pay the full price - twice what I would normally pay. Oscar was running about like a nutter, desperate to get in to the playplace so I paid it.

Today I fished the pieces out of the bin and once Rob came home, went in to the gym to show her the "evidence". I asked to speak to a manager - who was again, about 12 and had only been there 2 days - covering for someone. He didn't really know what to do. The same girl was on reception and when I told her that I didn't appreciate her attitude, basically looked at me like I was insane. This temporary manager called the guy from yesterday who said that she was only doing her job, that lots of people lose their cards and they can't keep looking up details on the computer and that it's standard policy to pay the full price. I reiterated that it was her attitude and rudeness that I was unhappy about, that I found her quite intimidating - that I'd worked on reception myself and knew how to talk to a CUSTOMER. I was getting nowhere. And getting upset.

Which really pissed me off! Bloody PMT! I don't know why I was getting upset but this girl was really making me angry which in my hormonal state was making me tear up. About nothing. I felt ridiculous getting emotional. I didn't get my money back. I got an apology from the manager, not from the girl. It's really spoiled my evening.

Ok - got that off my chest. Sorry. I'm really not the kind of person to complain - I'm too bloody British and apologise if someone steps on my foot. And this experience reminds me why I rarely make a complaint. I'm crap at it. Can't do confrontation and always think of good things to say 10 minutes after I get home. And like today, often get emotional. Grrrrr. I annoy myself. I wish I hadn't bothered now for all the good it did.

ANYWAY!

This morning Lesley arrived - having braved a horrible tailback on the A20 - and we went to Greenwich. Saw the planetarium show and had lunch in the Regatta Cafe. Lydia is such a lady - much better table manners than Oz - and can I just publicly say, the best cup control of any toddler I've met so far. She's amazing - didn't spill a drop.

And she taught Oscar too!

We meant to go to to swings but got caught out in the rain - so drove home and gossiped for a while until they had to go.

The kids were reading in Oscar's book corner and having a lovely time....

So a good day to begin with, ending in annoyance and frustration. I've actually had a break mid blog and had dinner and watched a ridiculous TV show called "The Starlet" which has made me feel less stressed. So I'm off to bed early.

7 comments:

Dixie said...

Why, why, why can't people who work with customers not learn to be professionals? Why do they have to come across with such crappy attitudes?

I'm sorry that happened to you, Sal. I don't blame you a bit for being upset about it.

Sweet pictures. Glad you ended up having a lovely time.

So long, farewell! said...

Go back in and smack that b*tch up! All head wiggly and ting :o) At least you didn't say 'As I am sure you can well appreciate' which I heard coming out of my gob and made me feel like Agatha firkin Christie the last time I was having a go at a stroppy piece of lipgloss.

Sorry she upset you petal - I think it gets us more because we *know* what it's like to be doing that sort of job and how hard we worked to be nice and polite and useful even though it was crap and we wanted to hit people over the head with a laminator.

Lydia is adorable, a real beauty. Do you think there is romance in the air for her and Oz?

Annie said...

what a little witch! Next time you have to encounter her, I would politely ask to deal only with the manager and forgo any contact with her. You could write a note to the Head of the gym to and state what she did to you... that way you can calmly put in in writing and say it just how you want to...

Oscar and Lydia look adorable! I love watching kids when they're in their own little world. Fun day!

zoe xx said...

Whilst it is a pile of crap in a cauldron, I think I would just breathe, and let it go. Ignore that Beeeotch with the snootiest indifference that you can possibly manage when you go, and be over ostentatiously polite. At the end of the day, I dopubt that she'll be there for long, clearly her heart is not in the job. You, however, have an ongoing, longstanding relationship with the place, and for the sake of your sanity, and its entertaining, wearing out of Oz benefits, you need to maintain that.

I'm a great believer in choosing the battles that you fight, and giving the PMT induced nature of your distress, I would probably let this go, for the sake of your own sanity.

One thing I really hope that we DO eventually get happening here that they have in the US (seeing as we get everything else/are the 51st state etc) is improved customer service, because we need it in some places.

Hugs and kisses

Clare said...

You know what? Maybe you made a difference, maybe she got a talking to after you were gone and she might just treat others with some respect in future. Then again, pigs might fly!!! I would've done the same, though we are lucky here, they will take the time to look at the computer (good job as I always lose the damn cards)

Glad to see Oz getting on so well with his girlfriend there ;)

Anonymous said...

Don't let it get to you - unfortunately a lot of people in customer service are used to getting aggro so they start off extremely defensive and with a customer is always wrong attitude.

Having said that I had a few drinks yesterday and fumed all the way home on the tube about stuff I really should have let go a long time ago - PMT is a killer!

Need another book on Zen Buddhism obviously - but I don't think it's a match for a woman with hormones! x Pearl

Unknown said...

Oh bless you, well done though.
Id probably have burst into tears there and then and dragged the sausage off kicking and screaming. Hormones are a bitch.

Cute photos, Sylvie grabbed a glass of water today and it went all down her front. Ho hum