Thursday, April 20, 2006

Wireless wonder...and globe disaster

I'm typing this from my sofa!!! Our wireless modem arrived today and it's fantastic - means I can be online downstairs wherever and whenever I want while Rob can pute upstairs - no more kicking eachother off line so the other one can have a go. No more sneaking upstairs to check my email while Oz is watching teletubbies. It's fantastic.

Best thing about today which was otherwise pants. Was meant to meet Louise and Elijah today but they're both ill with stomach upsets. So we had nothing to do. And no money to go out and play.My neighbour popped over with her nearly 3 year old (who is potty training and wet himself twice in my living room) and her new baby. Oz was happy but the two toddlers caused chaos so I was quite relieved when they left!

Then Marion rang and came over with Steenie her daughter at lunch while Oz was asleep. They've been to Disney in Florida and were showing me pictures. Steenie was desperate to see my snowglobe - it's my most favourite one - with Cinderella's castle in it - bought in Disney when I visited there with Rob a few years ago - it's up on the mantlepiece to keep it safe. I showed her, then Oz woke up and I was distracted. You can guess can't you...

Later on I was in the kitchen with Marion while Steenie and Oz were playing (Steenie wasn't in a very good mood so she was tanting a lot) when I looked up from the stove and saw Oscar with my snowglobe in his hands, pointed downwards....it was like slowmotion....he dropped it and it smashed to smithereens.

I know it's only a thing. And no one was hurt by glass which was a relief. But I'm sad as it was special.

I hate being indoors all day....and hate losing precious things. And hate spending time with other people's children when they aren't angelic! Silly that last one really as mine is hardly ever angelic....but it's just one of those days when my temper is short.

I got lots of cooking done though - made a huge dish of macaroni/cauliflower cheese with peppers and leeks and bacon in it, plus a big pot of veg soup. We went to pick Rob up from work - I needed a hug - and we all ate dinner together which is a rarity. Both Rob and I hadn't had lunch so we didn't mind eating dinner at 5.30! So it wasn't all bad I suppose......and I'm typing this from my sofa!!!

10 comments:

Kirsti said...

Aww. I know it's only a thing, but it was a thing that held a lot of memories, and was a part of your collection. I bet Oz was startled when it broke.

Hope that a yummy supper and wireless surfing makes up for it. I'm off to meet mum in half an hour...

Oh, and a package got mailed off to you yesterday. Start stalking the postman.

EG said...

Hoorah for wireless t'internet! I love it! IKWYM about other people's kids and I am a childminder. The one I have been looking after over the hols has been awful with Jade, really wound me up but we needed the cash. A word from me and her mum did the trick! The macaroni/cauliflower/bacon/leeks/peppers combo sounds lush, my address is.............

E.x

Dixie said...

Awww...hate that you had some bad steps through the day but it sounds like you've pulled out some happy stuff there at the end.

Wireless internet. Wonderful indeed!

So long, farewell! said...

Sorry you had a crap day. Not much better here to be honest!

We'll just have to go to Disney and get you a new one - I'm up for seeing Mickey et al if you are :o)

Nic said...

Yay to wireless but make sure you have it secured. We have just moved house and Michael's work laptop is desperate to connect to a neighbour's unsecured wireless.

Sorry for the globe. I'd be gutted too. Did you manage to not go mad?

I hope your night gets better.

Nic
xx

Sasha said...

Yay to wireless! I love sitting on the sofa surfing!
Yah boo sucks to the snowglobe. I hate losing/breaking things that mean lots. Horrible feeling in your tummy isn't it?
Glad Rob was there to hug you.
Love Sx

Al said...

Sorry you had an awful day, but yay to wireless! I used to be on a laptop all the time but it went kaput and even Stephen is vexed about repairing it so it's being sold as spares/repair on Ebay (only a year old and cost £1200 to boot - cheap one next time!!). How terrible about your snow globe, I have a jewellery box I got for my 21st and it's from about 1880 and a friends little girl decided to have a pick at the mother of pearl diamond on the front I was devastated beyond belief but thankfully her mother paid for it to be repaired!

Could you email me so I get your email address, on the kids computer so don't have any of the addresses I had on the old kaput pooter.

The cauli cheese thing sounds really yummy, any way of doing it fat free?!!!

Clare said...

I would've cried about the snowglobe (after they'd gone of course). Here's the thing...I don't like children *gasp* hehe, unless they are mine of course!

Glad you have a new toy to play with...and your dinner sounds absolutely scrummy!

Hope today is a better day for you

Sam said...

That's on my Xmas wishlist! Wireless sounds fab, M&D just got it coz the puppy kept chewing through the wires trailing over the floor. Sorry about your snowglobe, I get really cross & upset about stuff like that too, but bottle it all up and just sulk for while! But when it boils down to it, it could have been worse and you'd have been even more upset if Oscar had been hurt. These little monkies are into everything atm aren't they! I'm seriously tempted to shift everything up the attic in boxes till he's 10.

Anonymous said...

Bloody children - how DARE they not be angelic in your company???

((((Sal))))) I can totally feel your snowglobe pain - I haven't lost anything like that but I just know I'd be feeling the same about it