Tuesday, April 04, 2006

A quiet day (thank goodness)

Yes - a quietish slightly dull day but I ain't complaining! We went to our local library in the morning for songs and nursery rhymes. Oz lost the plot when he didn't want to play ring a ring a rosies but it didn't last long. Went to Gea's for tea as usual- lovely.

Oz didn't eat lunch (wasn't interested in anything) but slept for 2 hours which gave me time to get lots of car insurance quotes. Every time I decide to nap when he naps he only sleeps for about an hour - when I do something else even when I'm tired, he always sleeps for ages! Sods law.

I roasted a chicken this afternoon while Oz played with next door's cat in the garden. The evil frogspawn is more like jelly now as the water evaporates from it - still enough for Rob to get rid of tomorrow. He's home tomorrow! YAY!

Oz watched Baby Einstein for ages too this afternoon - he's obsessed with Baby Newton I think it is - the one about shapes. Very useful. Gave me time to get all the meat off the chicken so I could make Chicken Amore - my mission for the day.

But by the time I'd done bathtime, read my email, tidied up a bit and started cooking, I didn't have it cooked until about 10 minutes ago. It's easy but takes a lot of pre-cooking ingredients. A bit late for my dinner. I've had a small bowlful which was hard as I wanted to stuff my face with it - it's lovely - but if I eat too much this time of night, I have indigestion all night.

So here's the recipe if you want it. I hate spicy food - I like aromatic food but anything hot or chilified puts me off - even though there's curry powder in this, it isn't hot at all. I hope Oz likes it cos I made a ton! This is my Mum's recipe and it's a wierd mixture of lbs and grams! And mls - I used Oscar's medicine spoon to measure out the lemon juice and curry. I didn't use that quantity of chicken - 3lbs is a lot! I used a medium chicken from Sainsbury's worth.

Chicken Amore

300g fusilli pasta
3lb cooked diced chicken
7 level tbsps mayonnaise
2 tins cream of chicken soup NOT condensed
15 mls lemon juice

15mls grated lemon rind
½ red pepper cut into strips
5 mls curry powder (can add more to taste if you want it spicy)
1 clove garlic crushed
500g brocolli - blanched
grated cheese to top

Cook noodles. Toss in oil to stop them sticking. Mix soup, mayo, lemon, pepper, curry powder and garlic. Add pasta and chicken and mix. Poke broccoli into dish evenly and cover with sauce. Grated cheese on top. Gas Mark 4 until hot and bubbling. (about 40 minutes)


Enjoy! I'll dig out that Chicken Congo recipe if anyone still wants it.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmm, that looks good, sal.

anyway you can americanize that "gas mark 4" part? i think i can figure out the rest of the conversions for this crazy american. :)

Sam said...

Mmm might have to give that recipe a whirl Sal, was it good? (Kara, gas mark 4 equates to about 180C) Funny that our foodie boys are all suddenly getting a bit more picky, it's like they've suddenly realised they have taste preferences instead of being waste disposal systems! lol