Sunday, February 26, 2006

Weekend interrupted

So it's Sunday lunchtime. Oscar is still in his pjs - I'm in scruffy weekend clothes and really should wash my hair. Rob is the same. We're feeding Oscar - fish fingers, soup and instant noodles. Such nutrition.

Contemplating what to do after Oz has had his nap. Phone rings. It's Rob's work - the planetarium presenter for the afternoon has dropped out, they can't get hold of anyone, can he come in urgently and present 3 planetarium shows on Chinese astronomy.

Eek! Shove more food in child's mouth. Rob packs nappy bag while I dress child. (public transport in our area SUX on the weekend which is why I'm driving him in to work). He should be finished by 4.30 so my plan is - Oscar should fall asleep on the way - I can then go and sit in Starbucks for at least an hour, then take him to the park, wander round the museum and then drive Rob home.

We get to Greenwich with 20 minutes before Rob's first show - he dashes into the Museum - Oscar is asleep as planned - however as soon as I get him out of the car (gently so gently) he wakes up and is wide awake. I am determined and walk to Starbucks, then walk round and round trying to get him to go to sleep again. No joy. So we go to the park. Where for the next 2 hours he is inexhaustible. Chasing dogs and pigeons in the park. On the swings. On the slide. Kicking a can he found for ages....and it's really cold - 4 degrees which is cold in my book and no, don't ask me what it is in the other measurement, I don't know. (amended - ok I looked it up - 41 degrees fahrenheit for you foreigners reading)

FINALLY he falls asleep at 3.15 - I'm frozen. So is he. I get back to Starbucks - no seats. Crowded as all hell. I drink my skinny sugarfreevanillasyrup latte on the pavement. Walk back to the museum and wait for Rob.

Rock up to the planetarium as he's finishing and stroll in - all red faced and caffeine flushed- I've had a hat on so my hair looks atrocious. Only to meet - FOR THE FIRST TIME - Rob's boss. A lady called Liz - she's all in black, very stylish if slightly gothy, full makeup (serious bright purple lipstick) and she looks me up and down....eek! I've been wanting to meet her since Rob started work there 19 months ago. But I had the fantasy I'd be looking a bit more glamorous than today (wearing a fleece covered in baby snot, hat hair and red face). We both looked like the Slob Family. And Oz is fast asleep so he couldn't even cover for us and save family face by being adorable.

Ah well. Rob got MAJOR brownie points for saving the shows this afternoon. And he's got tomorrow off so it's not Monday tomorrow, it's Sunday Mark II.

Made meatloaf tonight for the first time ever. And it was rather yummy. There's a lot left over so I'm having meatloaf sandwiches for lunch tomorrow - i've been told it's a traditional american delicacy. Later this week we're having Chicken Parmesan and Tuna Noodle Casserole. I've gone all Americana cos I'm excited about my trip.

Poppy has tormented me with photos of IHOP dinners. Roll on May!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Make sure you IHOP for me x Pearl

Sam said...

Oh (((Sal))) I hate it when good plans go belly up, but guess this is what we've got to look forward to for the next 15 years or so?! Liz sounds like scary boss lady, but hopefully you'll meet again soon and totally wow her! Well done on the meatloaf triumph! Any chance of your recipe?