Tuesday, February 21, 2006

And yet again.....my sister rocks

She misses Oscar. A lot. And so with a little help from my folks (who are paying half) I got a ticket to Detroit in my email! Oscar and I fly out on the 27th May for a week.

WAHOOOO!!!

I get to see my sis. She gets to drool over her nephew. I get to hang out with a gang of stonecutters including Poppy (yay!) who are coming in to see us. I get to go to the movies in Birmingham and eat the best popcorn in the world. I get to go to Red Lobster and IHOP and shop for shoes and have a blast.

I'm lucky lucky lucky. Though I'm actually dreading the flight even more than I dreaded it back in November when we flew out. At least then he slept during the day. And wasn't as fast on his feet. And was amused for longer by smaller toys.

God knows how I'm going to entertain a 21 month old in a very confined and cramped space for 8 and a half hours. He hasn't got his own seat so will be on my lap, on the floor or (yeah right) strapped into his travel seat on a table in front of me. Any ideas? EEEEK!

9 comments:

Nic said...

Wooohooo! Sounds like you're going to have a great time. Plane ideas for Oscar? I thought you were going to type 'strapped to the ceiling' that might keep him entertaining ;o) How about new toys? books? food? I've never done a plane journey with my two so not a lot of good am I? Does he not sleep at all in the day? You can get phenogen (don't know if thats spelt right) which knocks them out a bit. My friend did that when she took her two year old to Aus, don't know if that would be any good?
Have fun!!

Nic
x

Dixie said...

Whisky?

I'm joking! Sorta...

Yay Sal! You're flying to America on the same day my sister is flying here. We're both going to be with our much-missed siblings at the same time!

Kirsti said...

New toys should help. I've read that bringing out only one thing at a time is also a good idea, so you've always got something he hasn't seen for a while to distract him.

And refer to the hints in that "parents survival guide" I gave you - I'm sure it's got something on airplane travel!

Unknown said...

Baby valium?

So long, farewell! said...

You lucky lady! Have a fab time and give K a big hug from me.

As for Oz.... those overhead storage compartments look quite roomy...

xxx

Clare said...

Food. Answer to everything for my greedy lil monsters!

zoe xx said...

I'm not very good at remembering the ages that children do/are interested in stuff, but crayons I'm sure were fun at this time, bubbles (person next to you might complain though), story cassette/CDs, chunky lego, Phenergan or Medised??? Good luck!

Kirsti said...

A tape or CD player with songs and stories is a great idea ... perhaps even some of your monkey music stuff? Large toys that won't fall down between seats and get lost.

I also googled and found some useful tips here and here. Giftwrapping the toys or books is a fun idea.

Kirsti said...

Oh, and a bunch more tips from parents here. Though actually, I rather like bobbie's idea too....