Monday, February 27, 2006

Ok you wanted the meatloaf recipe....

This is courtesy of my stonecutter chums (actually it was Poppy that first made me want to make meatloaf after she made one in the shape of a house) This is a combination of a recipe by Tricia with a few adaptations and additions of my own

Warning - LOT of meat here - but you could halve the quantities - we've only eaten half the loaf by day 2 so I'm going to freeze some

1 ½ lbs lean ground beef (it's 2 for £3 on lean steak mince at Sainsbury's at the moment)
2 eggs
1 cup bread crumbs (2 slices worth)
1 medium chopped onion
1 chopped red bell pepper
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
Beef oxo cube
Tomato ketchup
Worcestershire sauce
1 cup shredded mature cheddar cheese

In a large bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, onion, salt and pepper. Crumble the beef over mixture, mix well. Add a generous squirt or two of ketchup, worcestershire sauce and crumble the oxo cube into the mixture. Press half of the meat mixture into the bottom and halfway up the sides of a greased 2lb loaf pan. Sprinkle about ¾ cup of the cheese over meat to within about a ½” of the sides. Put remaining beef mixture over the cheese. Bake uncovered at 350° (Gas Mark 4) for 50-55 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake 5 more minutes. Let stand about 10 minutes before serving.

It was yummy. The thing all my stonecutter friends have told me is that meatloaf is a dish you can add anything to - some recipes use garlic, tinned tomatoes, oats instead of breadcrumbs, chili peppers, tabasco sauce - you can experiment and try whatever you like. Tricia's recipe is the only one I've found with cheese and I really liked it - other people put ketchup on the top mixed with brown sugar to form a caramelized crispy top. Have a go! See what you think.

Oscar had it for lunch with tomato rice (I had the leftovers and it was tasty) and Rob had a slice in a sandwich. It's a really tasty dish.

Tomorrow night I'm making another American classic - Tuna Noodle Casserole courtesy of Poppy's recipe. I'll post it if you like - if Poppy doesn't mind....

6 comments:

Roberto Rodríguez, comunicólogo said...

Nice blog.May be you can visit my blog soon. See ya

Kirsti said...

Don't you remember that mum used to make a meatloaf with cubes of cheese in it? I think it was mostly done in the microwave. And she'd make us cold meatloaf sandwiches for school the next day, and all the English kids would laugh....

Dixie said...

Mmmm...meatloaf. I wasn't too crazy for it when I was a kid but I love it now.

Anonymous said...

Post away with the tuna casserole. I originally got the recipe online, but made some major modifications. The original had zucchini in it, which is gross and should be illegal.

Sam said...

Thanks for the recipe Sal :) Luckily I know the very butcher to supply me with an abundance of meat! Sounds yum!

Heather said...

http://eating4one.blogspot.com/2006/03/meatloaf-madness-blogging-event.html
I saw this post for meatloaf and thought I would let you know I am hosting an event over at my site for the month of March called meatloaf madness. You might want to join!!
Your recipe looks good