Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Oscar locked me out!

Nightmare came true today. I'd just decanted the little monkey from the car and put him inside - closed the outside porch door so he couldn't get out and got the shopping out of the back of the car. Turned back round - literally 10 seconds had passed - and he'd shut the door. I swore I'd put it on the latch but it mustn't have taken - and I was locked on the outside and Oscar was alone on the inside.

I peeped through the letterbox and could see him - holding my keys in his hand. I cajoled. I begged. I pleaded. I made it a funny game. I bribed him with a biscuit from the shopping. He wouldn't give me the keys. He kept trying to insert them into the lock but he couldn't reach. Every time I tried to grab him he squealed and ran away. Then he found it highly amusing to shut the letterbox on my hand.

I ran next door and used their phone to call my friend Marion who lives 5 minutes away and has a spare key. Thank GOD she was in. I was hyperventilating at this point.

Then just as Marion pulls up in a screech - Oscar hands me the keys through the letterbox.

Typical. Marion was lovely and totally understood me calling her - I had no idea if Oz would give me the keys. It's made me realise that I must NEVER leave Oz in the house even for 10 seconds unless I have my keys in my hand. I didn't even have my cellphone - that was indoors too....

Lucky escape.

The joys of parenthood. I think I aged 10 years in 10 minutes.

I tried his Santa Suit on him today....whaddya think?


6 comments:

Dixie said...

Well thank goodness it didn't turn out worse. I agree - keys in your pocket before going out the door!

"Every time I tried to grab him he squealed and ran away. Then he found it highly amusing to shut the letterbox on my hand."

I know it was a serious situation but those two sentences had me howling laughing. Smooch that little ginger haired imp for me!

Kirsti said...

Hey, you learn from experience, right? And I'm sure you're going to have plenty more moments like that in the years to come...

He's adorably cute though. As always. More photos please!

Karen Townsend said...

How cute is that little guy? Very cute, that's how cute he is!

Sam said...

OMG Sal! I would have been reduced to fits of hysterics too! Thank goodness you have a friend with a spare set, we haven't! Will have to give it serious thought now! I usually put the keys in the lock on the outside as well as put the latch on, just in case! lol. Hope your hand's ok and that Santa will forgive naughty Oscar for giving his mummy such a fright!

Jess said...

Decanted him from the car - that cracks me up :)

I'm glad you were able to get in quickly!

Kiron Manuel said...

yes such things happen often even among adults.In one place where we stayed we had a house of several rooms and often one room or the other would get locked with the key often on the wrong side.How many times we had to bring the locksmith....We have now shifted to a smaller house with less rooms.