Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Look what I did!


Ok...so it isn't as impressive
as Kirsti's stuff. I'm seriously surprised I managed to do it all on my own (K was going to talk me through it but wasn't answering her phone). Thanks to Knittinghelp.com I watched the video and practised and then cast on! And then knat (is that the right way of saying it?) for three or four rows. I've put a lot of stitches on, I know - which may be stupidly ambitious. I'm aiming for a long scarf for Oscar - possibly for his birthday in August which is how long I think it will take for me to knit a few feet! The wool is red with coloured bits in and I like it.

I got fed up reading about how wonderful knitting is you see - you're all at it! So I'll keep you posted....

THANK YOU again for all the positive comments and reassurance. I do feel so much better about the decision now - the guilt is wearing off. I am really actually excited now! Feeling a lot more confident about class this week - really looking forward to it -and really looking forward to next term when I'll have more classes. Hoorah!

I had haggis for dinner tonight. Don't know why I'm telling you this but thought you'd like to know. It was very nice - a bit spicy for me but I served it with gravy and mash so I could smother the spice a bit. Rob ate it too - despite his pickiness on offal. I didn't tell him the main ingredient was lamb lung. Which is gross if you think about it but it tasted bloody nice and it's all minced up with oatmeal and stuff so you couldn't tell. And it was from Marks & Spencer so it was posh lamb's lung.

I've saved some for Oz for tomorrow! He ate a huge portion of Poppy's spinach pesto lasagne. Remember my culinary boasts here? Well the lamb shanks were disappointing - and expensive - so next time I'll pay a tenner for the ready meal version from M&S. But the spinach lasagne was a big hit - very tasty and made lots so I shall share the recipe which can be found here. Very rich and certainly not low fat/calorie though - I ate too much last night and my gall-bladder free digestive system gave me gyp. Rennies at midnight - yum - so next time I'll eat a smaller portion with some salad instead of gobbling a huge slice.

Right. That's me off to bed. To dream of knitting...

7 comments:

Dixie said...

Congrats! You did well! You're a knitter now!

That's pretty wide for a scarf. You'll find that if it's too wide the fabric won't be too scarfy - you won't be able to wrap or tie it easily. Oz is just a little guy - twenty stitches would be more like it.

I think I'd have to be fooled into tasting haggis. I'm a baby about such things.

Kirsti said...

Woo-hoo! Yay you. Sorry I was actually at work rather than lounging at home - but I'm very impressed. Knitting really is easy: there's only 2 stitches to learn, and the rest is just variations on them.

So are you going to let Rob know just what was in the haggis...?

Anonymous said...

Look at you, you knitter! :) If I can do it, anyone can. I love knittinghelp.com. I refer to their little videos all the time.

Do you mean to tell me you made homemade haggis? You rock! I love haggis, but I'm pretty sure I won't be making any. There's a local Scottish restaurant that serves their haggis topped with a cranberry-whisky sauce. So yummy!

So long, farewell! said...

Get you all knitting and cooking and everything :o) I am really proud of you.

My knitting keeps falling off when I try to purl... I might just do stocking stitch till I'm back in the saddle again.

The spinach lasagne sounds lovely - I shall have to make it for Captain Fantastic to make his muscles big and strong (!).

I had vegetarian haggis at Christmas and it was gorgeous. We'll probaby have it again on the 25th (Burns Night).

Below is a story that is probably one of you and I's worst dental fears...

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/17012006/325/dentist-allowed-boyfriend-drill-teeth.html

Right, off to burn down an establishment...

Love

The Incubator
xxx

So long, farewell! said...

LOL @ Battle Star etc - I have had to watch it solidly on the PC TV for the past few days, before that it was every episode of Invasion and 24 and god knows what else... I threw a wobbly at Angel though cos I kept getting woken up by the sodding soft rock theme tune and it was sending me batty... grrrr... and if I go downstairs he comes to find me like a lost puppy.

Yep, it is like watching myself in a alternate reality - one where I am black and male and have muscles... but me nevertheless... lord help Cocoa the Virgo...

Nic said...

Yay! Thats quite an acheievement for your first attempt I reckon! Is it stopping you snack? I should knit more i think because i have been snack queen this week. I've just invited you to join knitting groups, I hope you get the emails.
Have fun at Monkey Music tomorrow
Nic
xx

Mauren Mureaux said...

Oh, good for you Sal!! See, i'm not the only one who's been made into a knitting monster due to your sister's lovely knitting!! Keep up the great work, it really is a fun, relaxing hobby with only a few minor vexing moments from time to time...those can easily be remedied with a bit of wine or tea!!

~Suz~