Friday, May 25, 2007

A meme

Love my books - so stole this from Zoe who is on the brink of birthing but still has time to do memes!!! Thanks Zo....we have such similar tastes in books!

A book that made you cry: The Time Traveller's Wife. LOVE that book

A book that scared you: IT by Stephen King. I know he's trashy but he knows how to get your blood creeping....

A book that made you laugh: Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett. He used to be good...then he got a bit formulaic - this was his comeback book for me - that made me chuckle again.

A book that disgusted you: Gerald's Game by Stephen King (there he is again)- there's a scene in there involving escaping from handcuffs that actually made me feel faint reading it - too descriptive....if you've read it, you'll know

A book you loved in elementary school: Flat Stanley. I love that book....that and Harold and the Purple Crayon though that is for young young kids

A book you loved in junior high: Starring Sally J Freidman as herself - Judy Blume and Charlotte's Web - can't decide between the two. I liked the first cos I think I thought I was the Sally of the title! Apart from not being American. Or Jewish. Or alive in the 40s....

A book you loved in high school: The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley- I went to school in Somerset and lived in Glastonbury so imagined myself one of the maids of Avalon.....And Brother of the More Famous Jack by Barbara Trapido. I still love both of them and have re-read them so often I'm on my second copy of Jack and third copy of Avalon!

A book you hated in high school: Martin Chuzzlewitt - set text that I couldn't get my head into - I used Cliff Notes but still got an A in my O Level! I never even read the whole book!

A book you loved in college: Sybil. I got really interested in Multiple Personality Syndrome and Sybil and When Rabbit Howls were amazing and honest and brutal. I know a lot of people don't "believe" in MPD but when you read these women's stories...in their own words....compelling.

A book that challenged your identity: I have no idea.....I'm drawing a complete blank here....

A series that you love: I'm a sucker for Adriana Trigani too like Zoe....and Kathy Reichs books. And the Belgarion series by David Eddings. And Saga of the Exiles by Julian May - there are so many fantasy series I love....I could go on...

Your favorite horror book: Horror....that's a tough one....I don't want to put any more Stephen King on this list as I'm certain I'm more highbrow and literary than that....but I can't think of any other horror writer....does Anne Rice count? Interview With A Vampire is fab - all her early Vamp ones up until she got a bit carried away.....

Your favorite science fiction book: Time Enough For Love by Robert Heinlein. Any of his books that feature Lazarus Long.....

Your favorite fantasy book: Robin Hobb - anything by Robin Hobb. I also loved Anne McCaffrey when I was younger - oh to be a Dragonrider of Pern.....

Your favorite mystery book: I can't pick one. I love a lot of mystery/crime writers. I think Minette Walters and Ruth Rendell grip me most.

Your favorite graphic novel: Any of the Sandman books by Neil Gaiman

Your favorite biography: I read loads of them. I do like Shirley Temple's "Child Star" - fascinating.

Your favorite "coming-of-age" book: Are You There God It's Me Margaret

Your favorite classic: Pride and Prej - it's a cliche but I love it. I came to reading it very late.

Your favorite romance book: Pride and Prej will win this one too.....

Favorite kids book: The Little Mole (Who Knew It Was None of His Business) - about a mole who has a poo on his head and tries to find out who did it by asking animals to crap. It's hysterical and Oz loves it.

Favorite cookbook: Like Zoe - you can't beat the complete Delia - my sis gave me mine...

Your favorite book not on this list: The Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood - changed my life in a profound way....and Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems - I still refer to it weekly!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVED Flat Stanley too!!!! Also any Judy Blume.
Another fave was The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark - his name was Plop - fab name!!