Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The trial was....

a trial really - in all senses of the word.
trial–noun
...the act of trying, testing, or putting to the proof; a tentative or experimental action in order to ascertain results; experiment; subjection to suffering or grievous experiences; a distressed or painful state: comfort in the hour of trial; an affliction or trouble; a trying, distressing, or annoying thing or person.
..


Lots of things went wrong (which is kind of what we wanted - for us to work out what they were so they wouldn't happen next week when we're officially open). The most annoying thing was that the person at the venue who we've dealt with wasn't there. It was her day off. And considering the whole point was that she could see how we wanted the space laid out so it could be done for us next week....I couldn't believe she hadn't told us she wouldn't be there. And the room was still laid out as it had been this weekend for a wedding. So we had to spend a good 30 minutes moving chairs.

Julie's friend who runs a nursery was there to give us some advice but I must admit I don't think she understood that we're running a temporary creche - not a nursery. We had to set up the room differently than we would normally as we had quite a few toddlers with us yesterday (friends we'd invited who have older children). On a LAB day we can only take under 1's in the creche. So she kept criticising and telling me how it wasn't going to work and no matter how many times I told her this wasn't how we are going to have it normally, she didn't listen. She's very...erm....blunt.

And we hoped the boss of the agency who is supplying the staff was going to be there - she said she would. But when I rang after 2 hours she said she was too busy - it would have been nice to get a call.

There was so much lifting and carrying and building of gates etc. I've thrown my back out - am in pain today! We decided we need to hire a "runner" to do all the heavy lifting and help mums up and down stairs with buggies.

We learnt a lot. It wasn't what I expected and I'm quite scared about next week. But we know what we have to improve....I just hope we have enough time to do it.

Sometimes I think I'm crazy doing this.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey honey - we're all a bit crazy aren't we? Just remember if this is how it went this week with everything going wrong and a lot of unwanted advice, then next week will be much easier (especially if you have a runner!)

Just take it one step at a time - your business is building momentum and sometimes you just need to take care of it - and take care of yourself and give yourself a huge hug from me and a huge pat on the back for everything you have accomplished!

xx Pearl

So long, farewell! said...

Just remember - if the dress run is crap, the first night is fab, it always works that way :o)

xxx

ps - tee hee, the code I have to type in ends in Mox :o)

zoe xx said...

As I said in my previous comment, I am in awe and admiration of you for making such a go of this. So, there were some problems - well done for having a practice run of it so that you can iron these things out. Plus, the people who weren't on your wavelength - well, you know why they weren't, and you know that it will be different next week.

You're doing fabulously, keep it up, and I'm looking forward to hearing all about it next week.

hugs love