Thursday, August 24, 2006

Happy 2nd Birthday Oscar!

Wow. He's 2. Where the hell did that go?

Lovely (but KNACKERING) day. As I type this I'm trying to put together my first montage - inspired by Jemma, Kelly et al. - so bear with me...

So - to start at the very beginning, a very good place to start...(that "how do you solve a problem like Maria show is getting to me) He came downstairs this morning to a stack of presents and cards - many many thanks to everyone - we'll be doing proper thank you's soon....First he opened Lesley's pressie which I'd been saving since our last trip to Guildford - PERFECT for him - 2 little wooden cars - a fire engine and a police car - both complete with "nee naw" noise. And a magnetic articulated lorry. We couldn't actually get him to open anything else for about 10 minutes as he was so enamoured. Then a lovely Eric Carle book from Ursi - I love Eric Carle - Hungry Caterpillar was my favourite book as a child - this one - The Little Seed - is beautiful. We opened cards from Moxie, from NCT friends, a present from my neighbour. Then the family gifts.

He did like the teaset and tried to eat each plastic cake. The motorbike held his attention for about 10 minutes, then it was back to the fire engine and police car! He was a bit overwhelmed. As you can see from the photos, I hadn't even changed his nighttime nappy - he wouldn't let me - he just wanted to play.

So after a manic morning, we went to Bromley to meet....ESS!! I was so excited. There she and Al were, along with Jack, Jade and Joe (I think I should have renamed Oscar Joscar for the day). It was brilliant to see her in the flesh - even more gorgeous in real life - such a smily twinkly (and getting damn skinny) woman! Jade was an angel - Oscar fell in love instantly. We got more lovely presents - some fab clothes from Ess, pjs and a brilliant drinking cup from Al and a snazzy benetton t-shirt and a sherriff outfit from Jackie. Susannah popped by to give Oscar another highly appropriate gift - a pop up book about diggers and cement mixers.

The boy has done well this year - such thoughtful appropriate gifts. I'm so grateful.

We went to Adventure Kingdom where they all got sweaty and ran around like mad things. Then to McD's for lunch where Oscar lost the plot - he was tired - didn't eat a thing just tried to steal Joe's happy meal toy. So we regretfully left. It wasn't much time with Ess but that's the wierd thing about meeting up with online friends - you'd think we'd spend time getting to know each other, being slightly formal and shy but it was like we've known each other for years - because we have! And though it WASN'T enough time, it was like meeting an old friend - we just dived right into conversation. We talked about everything from IBS to irritating in-laws! And it was precious and lovely.

Oscar fell asleep before I'd even backed the car out of the parking space - he was shattered. He slept for a couple of hours while I tidied up as we had more people coming round.

My friend Marion and her daughter Kristina came over with a lovely dancing Boo toy for Oscar (which took us ages to work out how to activate it!). Then my mum arrived and we had cake and candles -and Oscar blew them out himself! I was so proud.

Mum stayed and played with Oz for a while as I was so shattered by this point. He wouldn't eat dinner - he hadn't really eaten all day - but when Rob came home he ate a few sausages....his appetite has been rubbish the last few days....ah well.

So that's it - he went to bed. I'm exhausted as usual and will be in bed soon. I must make the effort to eat something first and I want to call Moxie cos I haven't spoken to her for ages.

So that was Oscar's second birthday. The picnic is still on for Saturday as the weather says sunny intervals as of this evening. So I live in hope. Tomorrow I'll be running round shopping for the picnic and party bags, plus running to printers to get our LAB membership forms and posters printed. So an early night is needed.

Ok - I can't seem to do the fancy montages like the ones I've seen with zoom ins, close ups and fades - so please someone leave me instructions on my comments if you know what I'm doing wrong. This is the best I could do!


Morning...


Afternoon...


Ok those don't seem to be working....grrrr...here's the link....
Morning - http://w104.photobucket.com/widgets/dynamicflash.php?featuretype=bucketshow&featurename=Birthdaymorning&pa=/m174/sally_re/

Afternoon
http://w104.photobucket.com/widgets/dynamicflash.php?featuretype=bucketshow&featurename=Birthdayafternoon&pa=/m174/sally_re/

11 comments:

JB said...

Sally, congratulations for your blog issue. Kind regards from BCN!!

EG said...

Aww, it was a fabulous day babes, and so lovely to see you at last, can't wait to do it again!! Can't wait to be able to see your pics, and I will send you my copies when I get home! Love to Oz, especially from Jadey! XXX

Dixie said...

What a big, busy birthday he had! I'm glad it was a happy day all round.

Kristina said...

Happy birthday Oz!!! It's hard to believe you are two already...

Anonymous said...

I'm so JEALOUS!!!!!!! I miss you soooo much and then you get to meet Ess!!!!!
So pleased Oscar loves his pressie - he is a special boy with a very special Mummy, that's for sure!
Love you all and hope the weather holds for the picnic!

Clare said...

Aw a belated Happy Birthday to Oscar!!! Sounds like you all had a FAB day, no wonder your poor little lamb was exhausted, bet you were too!

So long, farewell! said...

:o) Happy Birthday Oscar.

That boy is growing so fast! How tall is he?

Hope you got some sleep.

Fab to talk to you last night. Sorry I flaked out at the end - have sent email to explain!

xxx

Sam said...

Happy Birthday Oz! What a great day you had, meeting little buddies too (and is that a Thomas Train I spot in the pics?!) Have fun playing with all your new toys xxx

Anonymous said...

Hello! Happy Birthday again to Oscar. Brilliant photos and glad you had a such a great day. Really pleased you approved of the book - I thought Dad might approve of scientific matter!
Looking forward to getting together again when I'm back from sunny suffolk!
Uxxxxx

Unknown said...

Happy birthday Oz! :)

Lovely photos Sal. Your boy looks so grown up. Not a baby anymore. Booo.

I know exactly what you mean about meeting cyber buddies. When Clare came last week it was as if we'd know each other for years!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Oscar The photos are lovely and he looks like such a big boy now
Best wishes to all of you
Anne