Friday, July 06, 2007

We survived!

Had a bad night with Toby - he was up every 2 hours again from 10. No idea why. So I took him to bed with me (sod it) at 5.30 and we slept till 7.30. Got up and started packing stuff to take with us on the great adventure. Brollies, waterproofs, food for toby, snacks for Oz and juice, nappies etc. etc. etc.

So we set out nice and early - aiming to meet Nicky at the station and catch the 9.53. At 9.45 there was no Nicky so I rang my answerphone at home to double check. There was a message - timed at 7.15 am - before we were up - saying she was ill and couldn't make it. I was torn. I was scared enough to do this with Nicky and her kids with us - on my own with them? But Oz was so excited so off we went.

Train ride was good - lots of looking out of windows though we had to stand the whole way as it was packed. We got off at Charing Cross and the main way to the footbridge was shut so we had to go down the escalators and go under the bridge and get on the other side. Crossing 2 main roads - Oz was a dream. Here he is on the bridge.
Admiring the London Eye and Big Ben
There's a little park at the bottom of the London Eye - Oz had a blast on the ropes
Toby chilled (literally - I didn't put enough layers on him - the weather was hot one minute, windy as hell the next)
Oz on the swings (nearly killed myself running round the front to get this pic after I'd pushed him!)
After a long negotiation and promises of chocolate, I managed to get him out of the park and we walked back to the bridge - encountering a busker who Oscar worshipped. Stood there for 3 rather crap Elton John covers which Oz applauded vigorously. The busker was very happy with Oz! Oscar kept saying "well done man! Great playing".


Then we crossed over the bridge again, bought Oz a sandwich and some chocolate mousse - I managed to sneak into Wasabi the takeaway sushi place (hoorah) and we went and sat in Embankment Gardens on the deckchairs for lunch. Oz was tired!

To his great joy there was a whole blooming orchestra setting up - the of Oregon Ambassadors of Music it said on their jackets. A huge full size orchestra on a small stage - you can't really see on the pic - so we spotted all the different instruments while eating lunch. We had to leave before they really got going but Oz applauded their warm up octaves. And then as we left he insisted on going right up to the front of the stage and saying goodbye to the conductor (for those of you who've heard my childhood story - remind you of anyone?)

He was an angel. We got the train back to Catford Bridge, he fell asleep on the bus but woke up enough to walk home. I was EXHAUSTED. But Toby, who had slept for a large chunk of the morning, wasn't about to give me a nap. So we had a lazy afternoon playing cars and watching CBeebies.

I'd certainly do it again - I've been putting off going on trips like that because Oscar used to run away and wouldn't walk with me or hold my hand. But he did all day today.

We're off to Legoland on Sunday - what a mad few days! And Rob is off from Tuesday - Friday next week so watch this space for more Edwards Family outings! I'm going to have a bubble bath now (it's 8pm) and although I really want to watch Big Brother tonight as I have no idea who is going, I'm going to bed early with the Memory Keeper's Daughter to read.

5 comments:

Bobbie said...

What a fantastic day babe. Very well done you for biting the bullet and braving it on your own. Oz sounds like he was a dream today - really pleased for you!!! Hope you have a nice, chilled evening. Enjoy Legoland - really want to take Nic so I'd like a full report please. xx

Kristina said...

Lovely photos - sounds like a fun trip!

zoe xx said...

Sounds great! Your bravery really paid off, and it's a bargaining tool for Oscar in the future - behave and you can go again (I love it when you find a new bargaining tool!!)

You didn't miss much on BB!

Kirsti said...

Great pictures - Oz is growing up so fast *sniff*. I'm glad he was good for you. Terry and I cracked up over the busker line. "Well done man! Great playing" is going to be our new compliment of choice!

So long, farewell! said...

Hope you're okay petal? - not heard from you in a while...

xxx