Thursday, July 05, 2007

And the result?

Toby slept till 3.30 last night (hooray). He woke up again at 5.30 and, as agreed, Rob went in to try and settle him instead of me taking him into bed.

At 6.30 I went in to the room and told Rob to forget it and go back to bed and got up with him myself (boo).....I didn't expect it to be that easy! I'll try again tonight - am going to bed extra early as I think I'll be up at 5ish again tomorrow.



A bad thing happened today. As Rob was having a lie in I took Oz to nursery in the car. Our routine is that we stop at the Tesco Express to get a croissant on the way. As I was at the checkout I looked out to the forecourt to check on the boys - to see Oscar waving something green over Toby's head. As I walked to the car I saw what it was and what he was doing. It was a board book. And he was hitting Toby over the head with it. Repeatedly.



I was furious. Toby had 2 red marks on his forehead and one under each eye. I almost smacked Oz round the head with the book. I drove to nursery and dropped him off making it very clear that I was furious with him.


Toby was screaming the whole time. He calmed down on the drive home and I couldn't stop cuddling him for ages. I know it's bound to happen. I know my sister has scars I gave her - and I have some she gave me. But it was horrible. I was so angry.


Apart from that it's been a good day - with Rob home I got to have a nap at lunchtime to compensate for being up since 5.30. I didn't go to bed early last night - I stayed up reading the latest Armistead Maupin book -
A total joy. I fell in love with Tales of the City when I read it at University. Loved the mini series - Laura Linney will always be Mary Anne to me and Olympia Dukakis - amazing. I've waited 20 years for this - like being reunited with old friends. I read it in a day - yesterday every spare second I had, I read it - and stayed up late reading it. If you are a drag queen trapped in a woman's body like I am and like slightly trashy but emotionally wonderful books, I highly recommend Mr Maupin . Maybe The Moon, another of his books - is also a favourite.

Toby ate well again today - spinach pasta for lunch, some leftover spinach pasta for dinner plus a little jar of baked beans and bacon to make sure he was full. Oz hasn't been too bad for the rest of the day.

Tomorrow - we're going on an adventure....Oz has got better walking with me, walking holding my hand or the buggy. So we're testing it tomorrow. Going up to town with my friend Nicky whose kids are the same age as Oz and Toby - getting the bus to the station, train to Charing Cross, walking over the bridge across the river next to the trains to look at the boats, then lunch at Wagamamas and train home. All with Oscar on foot. So cross your fingers. I'm alternately excited and terrified. I have visions of him falling off the bridge into the Thames. I'm going to have him on reins just in case. But he has to learn to walk with me and the buggy. And Nicky's son Callan is really good at it so he'll set an example. Hopefully.....it will be a good day!

2 comments:

So long, farewell! said...

Oh Sal, big hugs. It must have been so scary seeing Oz hitting Toby like that. Hope he is okay, poor wee man.

Glad you got some sleep but sorry Rob didn't manage to settle him (blokes are a bit crap at it aren't they.

Let me know when Rob is around to deflect the kids and I'll give you a ring to catch up and give you a phone hug.

x

PS - Hope you got to bed early. I keep meaning to go to bed the second Roxie goes to sleep and then I start faffing... and suddenly it's midnight or later and I'm kicking myself. Must try harder... :o)

Anonymous said...

Oh Sal it must have been horrible, but I'm glad you remembered the scars that you and K gave eachother - ALL kids are jealous of siblings but some don't dare show it. At least Oz could do it openly, which means he feels safe.

Of course you can't let him hurt Toby, but you can verbalise his feelings for him and encourage him to say them rather than act them out.

But of course you know this already - why am I saying it?

Love

Your mum