Friday, December 08, 2006

pregnancy update

Had a good hospital appointment this morning with a fab consultant. Plus a scan. Good news on the scan - baby boy is normal size - exactly as he should be and measuring as if I haven't got diabetes which I'm really happy about - makes all the hard diet work worth it. (btw my bloods are still not under control - I'm taking a ridiculous amount of insulin before bed and my fasting blood is still way too high - but at least it isn't affecting baby yet)

I have three options for delivery now after talking with the consultant. In an ideal world - I go in to labour naturally at around 38 weeks - ie 5th January - she recommended LOTS of sex so that's Rob's christmas present sorted. She said even if I'm labouring naturally, they'll monitor me a lot more than a "normal" labour - I'll be on that bloody monitor most of the time and baby will probably have a scalp monitor attached (Oscar did - it didn't seem to bother him) - this is because they have to keep an eye on my caesarian scar and the best way to check the strength of contractions is through baby's heartbeat....all being well I'll push the little sucker out no problem.

Plan B - I don't go into labour naturally but my cervix is soft at 38 weeks and baby's head has begun to engage. They'll break my waters to start me off. They can only do this if the head is down as if it isn't, the cord comes down before the baby and makes everything difficult. Now, Oscar's head never enagaged properly which isn't a great sign - but you never know - every pregnancy is different. And this baby is currently smaller than his big brother was at this stage.

If neither of the above are possible - they'll section me at 38 weeks - this is cos my blood sugars aren't behaving and because they do that if you've had a caesar previously.

So whatever happens - I'm going to have this baby about 2 weeks before I thought I would. Which is a relief.

Cross your fingers/pray/chant - do whatever you do - that I go for option A and labour normally. I've bought my rasperry leaf and will start taking it just after New Years I think to help it along.....

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

(Ess) Oh wow what fab news!! I'll keep everything crossed for you. I hope Rob likes his christmas present hehe!! ;o)

Anonymous said...

Oh wow for 2 weeks earlier!!! I'm putting loads of option A vibes your way. Are you going to Lewisham again?
Flipping 'eck though it's no time at all - aren't you still only just pregnant??!!

Anonymous said...

Excellent news that all is well Sal. Get going with that Raspberry leaf tea, and I guess Rob better have some lucozade??!!!!! ux

Beege said...

A very Merry Christmas to Rob! Good thing you've been a little nympho, huh? ;) Go for the nipple stimulation. I hear that works well.

Sending bunchs of Option A vibes your way--and whatever happens, fab news you'll be done two weeks early!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that it's going to be so soon! Wow!

I'm really hoping that this goes the option A way - some of it selfish as you and I seem to have had the same pregnancy experiences with A and O, I'm hoping that if you get option A this time, so do I!

How on EARTH do you rub evening Primrose on your cervix? The mind boggles!!!!

Dixie said...

I can hardly believe that baby boy is going to be here in less than a month! The time seems to be flying by like crazy!

I'm so excited for you, Sal.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on keeping the diabetes in check girl! That's brill news, and fab that you get to meet your little one early too - although unless I pop early too they won't be a month apart now :o(

Sending lots of fresh pineapple, curry (!), sex, riding over speed bumps, mowing the lawn vibes to start things of at 38 weeks.

love

Moxie
xxx

Unknown said...

OMG, you must have made a mistake Sal. You cant possibly be 38wks in early Jan! No way hose!!!

My mate Chelle is 38 wks on the 8th and having a planned c-section on that date. I casnt believe you are that pg already!!!! How long have I been away??