Monday, March 26, 2007

The times they are a changing....

Our friend Bob came over on Friday from America. I've known him for such a long time and we've been over to stay with him in Chicago and he used to come over almost every year until about 6 years ago. Every New Year we'd hire a cottage in the Lake District - there were Rob and I - Mike and Maz - Carey and Mike - and then Bob and sometimes Steve who'd leave his wife in London and Rich who was a perennial biker bachelor. We'd get drunk, have fun - it was the best New Years I ever spent - we did it about 3 years in a row.

On Friday night we went round to Mike and Maz's for a "reunion" of sorts. But it was so different. There were Rob and I - plus Oscar and Toby. I hadn't seen Mike and Carey since I was pregnant with Oscar but they were there - plus their 18 month old daughter Ivy (who's adorable). Rich was there - with his girlfriend May who is also adorable - they're about to move in together. And Mike and Maz of course - plus their 4 year old Kristina. The only one who hasn't changed his life is Steve! (though he's looking a bit older now...)

It was wierd looking round the room. And talking. How different we all are now. Instead of getting giggly and drunk Carey and I discussed Cbeebie's new schedule for about 20 minutes. Toby was passed around and admired. It was so lovely to see Bob.

Bob has 2 children. Well I say children. They are now both in college. His eldest, Charlie, is over here "studying" at the American College in London for 5 months. He's having a blast! When I first met him he was a scrawny teenager. Now he's a man!!!

Where has the time gone?

Ok - last thing - here's another montage of our weekend...watch out for Rob's impression of Jack Nicholson in The Shining - biting Oscar's shoulder!

1 comment:

Bobbie said...

That made me laugh as it's so similar to what's happened to me and my mates - they used to have these great raucous parties - everyone off their heads and no one in bed earlier than 3 am. Now everyone's got kids, v. different kinds of conversations and everyone making their way home by 7 to get the kids to bed!