Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Help me dear readers....

First of all - hello! My friend Pearl actually rang me today to check up on me cos I haven't blogged for a few days! Its just hard to find a minute! We've all been ill - horrible colds that haven't gone away. Toby and I have still got a nasty cough - took him to the docs today to listen to his chest - she also insisted on listening to mine and whacked ME on antibiotics as I'm the one with the infection - the baby is fine!

BIG thank you to the lovely Ursula, who is now known as the book fairy in our house! She's always supplied Oscar with magical books that he loves and has now sent both boys a treat - though Oscar has purloined Toby's book I'm afraid...I'm going to get it off him when he's not looking and put it away! So thank you Ursi - ring me and please let's meet up soon!

Have started putting Toby to bed at the same time as Oscar - Rob does Oz, I do Tobes...it's lovely but I can't work out when to cook dinner....any ideas? Rob gets home from work around 6.15 ish - Oz has his bath at 7 so I've been going to put Toby down at that time too but it means I can't cook until around 7.45 so we don't eat until 8.30 usually which is a bit late...and I can't work out how else to do it so ideas from you are useful.

Second thing you can help me with - I've always made music a big part of bedtime. When Oz was a baby he had a CD for bathtime and then a bedtime lullaby CD compilation that I made. I've been using the same lullaby one for Toby but I'm a bit bored of it and it isn't ideal - some songs are perfect, some aren't.

So challenge for you - suggest some nice bedtime lullaby type music. Doesn't have to be a kid's lullaby as such - keepers on the current CD are:

  • Go To Sleep Little Baby (from Brother Where Art Thou)
  • Baby Mine (From Dumbo - Alison Krauss version)
  • Wonderful Baby (Don McLean)
  • River Lullaby (From Prince of Egypt Disney Film)
  • Child of Mine (Carole King)
  • Dream a Little Dream (Mine and Rob's "song" - Mamas and Papas)
  • Gold (Stevie Wonder - from The Outsiders)
  • Hushabye Mountain (Dick Van Dyke)
  • St Judy's Comet (Paul Simon)

I've got a couple of Louis Armstrong songs on the current mix that I love - particularly Kiss to Build A Dream On - but it's got a super loud trumpet solo in the middle - not so appropriate for lulling a baby to sleep!

Tell me your favourite sleepy songs - and I'll burn Toby his own compilation this weekend.

Ok - dinner tonight is chips from the chipshop - I'm so healthy....and then a bubble bath methinks as baby boy should stay asleep until at least midnight. (Last night he was awake after midnight every hour....his cough woke him and so I had a rough night. Early night for me!)

Look forward to hearing your ideas chums!

4 comments:

Bec said...

Sorry to hear you are not well, hope you manage to get an early night and a good chunk of sleep before Toby awakes.
Now lullabys, the favourites in this house are; close to you by the Carpenters (on the day that you were born the angels got together and decided to create a dream come true...), Brahm's Lullaby, Swing low sweet chariot, hush little baby, little boy blue and you are my sunshine.
That's all I can think of for now but hope I have given you some ideas.
Bec xx

Kristina said...

Sally, there's a CD I absolutely adore called Chinese Lullabies by the Beijing Angelic Choir. Lovely, lovely stuff. Great to unwind to, and I'm sure it would put the kids out, pronto! It's on Amazon U.K., I checked. This was suggested to me by a fellow librarian who occassionally plays the album when she teaches tai chi.

Hope you're all on the mend soon!

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you posting and sorry you've been ill! Hope you're all back to full health soon.

Hmmm music, you've suggested some really good ones. We used to have a CD of music that had a heartbeat behind the music and used to knock Jaya out! I only just remembered, maybe I'll try to find it for Jove!

Is there anyway you could mo9ve the bedtime routine earlier? Ours go in the bath for 6.30pm and are normally both asleep by 7.00pm. Back when Jove was feeding for longer Stu used to cook the dinner so that it was ready for when I came downstairs. Could you perseude Rob to do that?

Lots more get well soons you way :)

Sasha said...

Hi sweetie, hope you are feeling better soon. Hmmmm, lullabies....we have a compilation, cannot remember the name but tbh haven't used it for Till....may find it. Will let you know the name later.
As for meals, I tend to make something that can sit on the stove (such as a Thai curry, chilli, korma etc etc) at lunchtime when they're both sleeping. Then just heat it up and whack on the rice or pasta when they're asleep at night. Then I either freeze the remains (make shed loads) or more often than not we eat it for days and days! And if Justin dares to complain........!!! Also jacket potatoes are a staple! Our menu is so boring and very little variety..........no time or energy to think of new things!
Sxxxxxxxx