Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Another Shitty Monday

Ah the joys of having a two and a half year old......A very rough day yesterday. Started ok - Rob got Oscar up and dressed for me which is always a relief.....

We had a lovely day planned - a morning at the best soft play place Gambado with three of his little friends - Frank and Sam and also Elijah - son of Louise who used to childmind Oscar when I did Monkey Music. Oz and Elijah used to see eachother four times a week and do really miss eachother - they haven't seen eachother for about 2 months....so I thought Oz would be really happy to go. Afternoon we were invited to Liz's house for tea. Hoorah - one less thing for me to worry about.

I got Toby in the car....and Oz refused to put his coat on and get out the door. He threw the mother of all tantrums. I asked him if he wanted to stay at home and go to bed - he said he did - stupid me for asking cos there was no way I wanted to stay in with a grumpy kid.....I almost dragged him to the car - he screamed all the way there.

When we got there we were the first - and luckily Oscar's mood totally switched so I had a chance to grab a coffee and a flapjack which was hot out of the oven - that was the best bit of the day. Others arrived and Oscar and Elijah went mental with eachother - dashing around....hyper and manic.

Poor Sam and Frank were left in the dust. I managed to have a good chat with my Mum friends - then came lunch.....I ordered Oz sausages, chips and beans - his usual favourite. He wasn't interested. He sat in his chair shaking his head from side to side manically. And then banged his chin on the chair.......where he'd cut it last week.

It must have really hurt. He cried a lot. I was feeding Toby at the time - had to give him to Liz to hold and comfort Oz. The cut had opened up again. It was bleeding. I didn't know what to do. The hospital had said to bring him back in if that happened and they'd reglue it. I couldn't imagine getting them both to Casualty on my own - especially since Oscar was hyped up and knackered....

But I did. Had a fight getting Oscar out of Gambado....they both cried all the way to the Hospital. No parking place any where near which is what I dreaded....so we had to walk - Oscar wanted me to carry him - impossible. Took 10 minutes of crying to get in the place. Queued for ages. Told to go home as they wouldn't reglue it as it had been too long.

TOTAL WASTE OF FUCKING TIME


So ten minutes of wailing back to the car. Got home. It was 2.30 (Oz usually sleeps at 1). He was exhausted. I was so wound up. Toby was screaming for a feed. Oz slept, I fed Toby and resisted the urge to go out for a drive on my own to buy cigarettes and leave them both alone in the house.

Had to wake Oz up after an hour or he wouldn't have gone to bed last night. You can imagine how that went down. Then it took half an hour to get him in the car. He didn't want to wear his coat. So we went outside and I locked up and he threw himself on the floor screaming for his coat. So I went in and got it. He didn't want it again. I had to throw him in the car practically (and my scar is hurting because of that).

Got to Liz's at about4.15 - insane traffic and loads of roadworks everywhere (I hate this time of year when councils use their fucking budgets up by digging up roads for no reason). I was so stressed - like a spring in my head coiled really tight. Oh yeah - forgot to mention - have a stinking cold again.....

Oz was quite naughty at Liz's. Wouldn't eat any dinner. Wouldn't get in the car to go home. Thank god Rob was home when I got there cos I wouldn't have lasted any longer.

Rob was angelic...while I fed Toby (who was making up for getting interrupted feeds all day by feeding CONSTANTLY last night) he made me dinner - an interesting concotion - chicken and ham fried with onions and tomato sauce and marmalade....served with pasta. It was actually quite tasty (Rob likes to create in the kitchen when he rarely cooks). Then he ran me a bath and made me shut the door so I couldn't hear Toby screaming for more milk. Then I managed to get Toby down and was in bed for 10.

Toby woke 4 times last night - 2 times he wasn't actually awake - he was doing his grunting routine - so when I put him to the boob he sucked about twice and fell asleep again. I must wait a bit more before going in to him....

Anyway - Oz is at nursery all day. Toby and I have our 6 week check this afternoon. I've ranted here and feel much better.

Main regret from yesterday - Moxie rang me, I was out. I rang back she was washing her hair, she rang back and I was on the phone then out for the day...and last night I was in no fit state to talk to anyone even though I'm desperate to hear how she and Roxabella are....So Mox - sorry - I tried to ring you this morning but didn't let it ring for long in case you were asleep. I'm out and about a lot today but will ring you I promise. Hope your day was better than mine and that you, CF and Roxie are settling in at home as a family.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello gorgeous,
Sounds like you had a helluva day - maybe the only thing I can say is that you only have each day once (sometimes that's sad, and sometimes, like yesterday - thank goodness!) but before you know it Toby will be done breastfeeding and Oscar will be at school - so as much as it is hard work to have the two of them together - it won't be for long - so moan about the bad stuff and enjoy the good stuff, life will have more than enough different challenges for you later xxx P

Nic said...

Aww (((Sally))) I was reading that feeling really sorry for you. I don't know how you cope not being able to lift Oscar up. Lucy is a little prima-donna strop monster at the moment and I'm afraid I am the mother who carries her kicking and screaming and attempts to bend her into her car seat when she says she is not going out but if I had to wait for her to get in?! My god, we would never get anywhere!!
Three cheers for Rob saving the day and for Os being in nursery all day today. I bet you are both benefiting from a day to yourselves.
Nic
xx

Anonymous said...

Oh Sal. What a miserable fucking awful day. I'm really sorry, but so proud of you for trooping through it all. A lot of moms hide at home when they have two little ones. I'm amazed at how strong you are to manage your two boys the way you do. You're doing a great job. Really.

Oz's age is such a hard one. Clara Jane's going through a lot of the same shit, and it's crazy-making. I can't imagine doing it with a baby at the same time. You've got my utmost admiration and love.

Dixie said...

God love you, Sal - I admire you so much for keeping it together when it seems like everything is flying apart.

You're amazing. Love ya big bunches.