Friday, September 22, 2006

Surprise surprise

My Glucose Tolerance Test results came in and I have higher than normal blood sugar. I've been expecting this really - it's why I started monitoring my bloods as soon as I found out I was pregnant. I haven't been an angel but I've been basically sticking to a low GI diet as much as possible...

So - I saw the diabetic midwife (she deals with it but she hasn't got it!) who I saw in my last pregnancy. It was nice to catch up but she had some sobering news for me. Because I've been diagnosed earlier in my pregnancy than last time, it's worse news - for baby really more than me. I may have to go on insulin this time - to not go into it too much, I have really high blood sugar in the morning. Overnight my body seems to produce sugar - even if it's low before I go to bed, it's high in the morning. I am fine during the day - it's just my fasting blood that's high.

This happened last time too and the way I dealt with it was to eat something before I went to sleep. So I'm going to try it again for a couple of weeks and see if I can control it - otherwise it's injections for me....

Also - they won't induce me which is what I wanted to hear - but what they will do is a caesarian if I don't go into labour naturally before my due date. The whole reason I started monitoring my bloods so early was to avoid another caesar. I really wanted to try and do it naturally. I can't imagine having a caesarian and a 2 1/2 year old! And last time I had my sister around doing everything for me which was amazing. That won't happen this time.

The midwife told me an elective caesar is much easier than an emergency - your body isn't exhausted by labour so your recovery is often quicker. And psychologically it isn't as shocking - you know exactly when your baby will come, you can arrange childcare, prepare and everything. And it won't hurt! Well, recovering from it does but it won't be like labour.

But a wierd part of me enjoyed labour last time - it was amazing what my body went through and how I coped. I did 9 hours before i had an epidural and never got to push. And i really would like to experience that. This is my last "chance" to birth a baby.....

Am I being nuts? Possibly. But it's how I feel.

Thank you for the name suggestions - we're keeping them all in mind! 2Bee is a real wriggler - especially during Monkey Music classes. Besides the diabetes all is well - I'm just hectic busy and tired which is why I am so crap at posting and keeping up with everyone too...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The psychological crap that goes with a c-section just sucks. I'm sorry you're having to deal with it. But from what I understand, your midwife is dead-on right about the planned ones being much easier to recover from than the emergency ones. Also, you've got a few months to prepare yourself. There were so many problems with Oscar's birthday and this time you'll probably be able to avoid them. You'll still get the anticipation of labor, because you'll be looking forward to 2bee's arrival. But still, I know it hurts to know that you might not get to have a baby the "real" way.

Anonymous said...

Forgot to ask - have you mentioned your due date. If so, I missed it.

So long, farewell! said...

Sorry your sugar levels are up babe but glad they caught it early and something can be done.

Looks like we both might have to have our lo's out the cat flap then. I'm not as upset now I know they don't do epi's here but it would still be nice to try and deliver through the lady bits.

Hope you are getting some rest in the middle of all the dashing around.

xxx

So long, farewell! said...

PS Maybe have a natter with Kaz about it - I think she had a crap time the first time round but the elective was wonderful and stress free.

xx

EG said...

Hiya babes, it was lovely to 'speak' to you earlier! Please don't be so downhearted about having a CS... when I had Jade I wanted a natural delivery, in the end I was induced and had every form of pain relief then had her with ventouse. Joe was an elective CS after I had dreamed of having a water birth. I was so fed up of being pg though that I didn't care how he came out. It is true that it's not so traumatic, just accept all the help that's on offer and you'll be fine! I'm always here for you if you need to sound off.

E. x

Unknown said...

I have a friend who had an emerg c-sect first time and a planned one the 2nd time and she said her 2nd birth was amazing. Totally different. They had a laugh, the atmosphere was relaxed and jokey. She obviously wasn't upset and exhausted or in pain. If thats the way it goes for you don't expect the worst. It may still be a joyful experience.
Im so lucky to have never had a c-section but it came close with Tom. I wonder if I would have had 4 kids if I had ended up having them out of the sun-roof (or cat-flap LOL!)

I cant imagine what the recovery is like but Im sure you and Rob will cope. From one supermummy to another my love, I think you are magnificent. You'll be a trooper!

(And at least you wont end up with a bucket like me ;)

JOKEEEEEEEEEEEE

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you've got G.D again Sal, it sounds like you're well in control of what needs to be done though, having been there before. Fingers crossed for not having to have the injections xxx Regarding the CS, I had an emergency one with LJ too & agree 100% it's no fun recovering, all that side-stepping upstairs & sliding into bed slowly. I went thru 24hr labour first too which I'm glad I did, it's what you're building up to isn't it so if you manage a natural birth then Happy Days! But, if an elective CS is necessary and they reckon it's an easier recovery, you've gotta go with the flow and let Rob/family/friends take a little of the strain. Whatever method in the delivery room, it will still be another magical memory Sal but remember to buy a load of pineapple chunks just in case ;)

Clare said...

oh crikey, you are really going through it eh? I don't really know what to say never having been through either the GD nor a c-section but I guess what's most important is the outcome. Glad to hear you've got a wriggler! Me too, it never seems to stop!

Nic said...

Sorry to hear about the GD and the c-section ideas. The chance of going into labour natuarally, before my due date would be about a million to one so I would be thinking they had the c-section planned for me too. Its a difficult one, isn't it; I would be thinking I want a natural birth but then if the babies health may be compromised then you need to think of that. Could you talk to the GD midwife about what you want and see what she says? I'm sure a planned c-section would be tons better than an emergency one but I can see your worries with having Oscar and 2bee to look after.
Good luck!!
Nic
xx

Anonymous said...

Hey honey,

Sorry to hear you're not getting the pregnancy you hoped for - thinking of you and hoping the silver lining shows up for you very soon!

I was thinking about you on my way into work today - to see if you fancied sushi soon - that'll perk you up! Free any day but Tuesday for the next couple of weeks, and free this weekend too!

Oodles of love xxx Pearl