Wednesday, September 27, 2006

In praise of my Mum

She's been amazing today. We went to the docs - Oz is ok- it's just a virus (that's what they always say) and he seemed cheerful enough - he just sounds dead croaky. I was told to drink lots and not to worry about baby being affected by my liquid bowels (sorry).

Then I went to Mum's. She had Oscar from 10.30 until 5pm, enabling me to go home and sleep - I'm so weak and tired. I picked him up - he'd had such fun - and brought him home. Then she came round at 7 and put him to bed for me. She was so amazing - I don't know what I'd have done today without her.

While Mum was putting Oz down (another battle like yesterday) the diabetic midwife rang me back - and reassured me that my levels weren't bad at all. That it wouldn't be as easy to control this time as it was last time and that I mustn't panic. And I MUST eat. Especially carbs. If I don't eat any carbs or sugar, my body produces it itself which is one of my main problems - my fasting blood is high because my body is dumping sugar from my liver. She said if my morning levels continued to be high to ring her on Monday and she'd put me on insulin on Tuesday instead of waiting till my scheduled appointment next Friday. She told me not to worry about baby's lungs -that she had to inform me of all the risks involved in diabetes but that baby is not under that risk at the moment.

I did reassure her that I was normally quite sane and rational - I think I'm just over-tired and stressed. Which, as Dix said, would raise my blood sugar more! She suggested I eat more, maybe take up yoga!

So I feel better. I did eat something tonight - again courtesy of my supermum, a falafel and some pasta (carbs!). I'll measure my blood later.

Have been trying to ring Rob all day but he's not in his hotel room. Hopefully I'll get hold of him tomorrow.

So I still have stomach cramps and dodgy bowels but I'm going to teach tomorrow (I need the money!) and see how I am. Oz can go to nursery the doctor said. So hopefully I'll be back on track. And Mum has again offered to be around tomorrow afternoon if I need her.

So mum - if you're reading this (and I know you sometimes do). I wish I could express better how grateful I am. And how amazing you are. And I love you. As does your grandson.

8 comments:

Dixie said...

Your mum really is a love, isn't she? I'm so glad she's there for you.

Rest. Eat. Get a little exercise. You'll feel much better then.

EG said...

Aww your mum sounds like one in a million (like mine)! Get better soon chicken, accept all the help you can get from your mum, and REST!
E. x

So long, farewell! said...

Hope you are feeling better. I was going to call and cheer you up last night but I felt too rubbish :o(

xxx

Anonymous said...

Sal - thank you for the lovely comments, I'm glad I was able to help. You're worth it!!

You are brave and strong, you cope with everything that life throws at you and I am your greatest admirer. Remember what I wrote in your birthday card - I meant every word.

Love from your mum.

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous mum - actually that should be plural! Hope you & Oz are back to health soon, plenty more of supermum's cooking should do the trick!

Unknown said...

Aww, I was going to say that your mum sounds fab and then I read her comment and began to blub!
I wish my mum was able to be around and help and that we were as close.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Take care honey x

Anonymous said...

Thank god for mums eh! Mine did similar when I was put on bedrest with Jove and Stu had to work away. Your mum sounds fanatastic, that must be where you get it from!
Good luck today and take it easy. The mums will understand if you're not up to full energy.

The Candid Bandit said...

Awwwww mums rock this world!

My mum is over 8 hrs drive away. She gets many tearful phone calls and by the end of it I feel wonderful and full of her wisdom and love again.

Your mum sounds like a doll.