Friday, July 21, 2006

What a difference a day (and a sleep) makes

Yesterday was awful. Well it started on Wednesday night. Rob was out and I had to put Oz down on the hottest day of the year. He didn't want to go to bed or have a bath and actually was awake until 9 - alternatly playing around and screaming. Also, Weds night is tidy-up night at our house - the cleaner comes on Thursday so the house is always a huge mess on Wednesday. Yes I know it would be easier if we kept it tidy. But you know me....so Rob had promised to be home earlyish so he'd help me. He didn't get home till after 11pm. By which time I'd done it all myself and had melted in a hot puddle of sweat. I wasn't happy.

Next morning Oscar was awake at 6.....I got to Monkey Music to find that my CD player had melted in the car on Wednesday - it was 37 degrees on Wednesday so I'm hardly surprised. This heatwave is totally unbearable... So I had to do the class with one hand holding the lid down on the cd player to make sure the music played. On the way to pick up Oscar Louise (childminder) rang to say he'd fallen asleep in the buggy (hardly surprising) and did I want to leave him asleep or wake him. I STUPIDLY said wake him up and give him lunch and then he'll sleep for longer. Oh no. He wouldn't sleep at all. I picked him up 20 minutes later - he was in a foul mood from being woken up and was dog tired. I put him in his cot when we got home but he wasn't having any of it. He did the same as he'd done the night before - quietly played for a while, screamed for 10 minutes, played some more. After an hour in his cot I gave up.

Got him up and took him to a play place with Julie and Mya. But because he was so tired he was a nightmare. Everything was a drama. Driving home a stupid &*&^^$&** woman in a green car nearly killed us by not looking where she was going and not giving way at the roundabout - I thought she'd seen me but as I pulled on to the roundabout she sailed on - and I missed her by millimetres. I was so proud that I didn't swear but Oscar was saying "hit car, hit car" and I just burst into tears. Luckily we were only a minute away from home. Came home and sat in front of the fan for ten minutes....

Then I had a doctor's appointment which was running 45 minutes late so once again Oz and I were in that sweaty waiting room - I got there at 5.15 when my appointment was - saw the doc at 6.

Luckily Rob came home early - came to the docs - and took the boy off my hands. And the only good thing - I got some anti-hystamines and nasal spray from the doc so no more suffering with hayfever and rhinitis.

Rob put Oz to bed and again - he wouldn't go to sleep. Even though he was EXHAUSTED. Eventually Rob went back in and sang him to sleep. I went to bed early without dinner cos I was too hot and fed up.

Today however - Oz slept in till I woke him at 7.30. MM went well. One of the mums told me she's due in December so she's a new bump buddy. And I got lots of email addresses for our LAB mailing list. Everyone is so interested which is cool!

Oscar fell asleep in the car on the way home so I had 2 hours to do washing, bake a wonderful loaf of bread (courtesy of Lesley's breadmaker - god I love that thing), pay my car tax, read all about Cheryl Tweedy's wedding in OK magazine and have a lovely lunch of falafels covered in salad cream.

This afternoon we went to the Horniman museum with my friends and got a guided tour of the brand new aquarium (one of my friends is a journalist and filming a piece about it on Monday). It was very hot but Oz had a blast. Just got home - hot and sweaty but quite relaxed.

I can't imagine what it will be like when he stops napping in the day. In fact I think I'm going to force him to nap until he's at least 16. I need that time!

And it's the weekend. And I'm 14 weeks pregnant I think today. Kell had her baby Sonny! hoorah!- well done Kell! Can't wait to hear all the details. Moxie is having a fab pregnancy and got to see her little one which is cool. And all seems well with the world (well my little world - don't even start me on the global situation). Even though it's still too bloody hot, I'm a lot happier with my lot.

(reading this post back, it's not very interesting...but hey - it's my life at the moment!)

6 comments:

zoe xx said...

I know the daily nap seems like a lifeline, when it goes it will be ok. He will be older, and after lunch we invented "quiet time" which is basically some time just watching TV, so it amounts to the same thing as a nap. Also he will be able to talk a lot more and then you can have conversations.

I'm not making sense. It's the heat

So long, farewell! said...

So you're not enjoying the heat then babe? :oP It is a bit minky isn't it although CF is feeling it more than me and keeps getting the sweats, bless.

Fingers crossed cooler air is on the way.

As for the stupid bitch in the car, what are people on? A bloke nearly hit me leaving Tesco's then had the nerve to honk at me for it - I was upset for days and scared to drive.

Today I was crying so much I curbed the car on the way to the dentist and it really shook me up - aren't the hormones great!

xxx

Dixie said...

It's blistering hot here too...miserable isn't it? I'm surprised we're not all a pile of cranky, fussy, upset folks.

Hang in there sugar...it'll be cooler soon.

Anonymous said...

(((Sal))) I feel that way about the naps too - if I can't have a peaceful lunch I get ratty!
Glad the breadmaking is going well - nothing like the smell of homemade bread is there?!

Sending cooling waves of air your way x

Sam said...

Has it cooled down up there yet Sal? We've got a nice cool day down in the SW so I'll waft it up North for you! Viva la naptimes...I'm hoping they continue till they're ready to start school! I'd have a meltdown if I didn't get my 2 hour me time (chore time more like) a day!
You've got me thinking about bread now anyway so I'm off to chuck some flour in the breadmachine too!

Sasha said...

Heat...ugh! Toddler and heat..ugh...pregnant and heat ugh!Toddler, heat and pregnancy.........don't even go there!! You poor love, hope you are a lot cooler now!
Yummy to breadmakers (really want one, but go no room in a stupidly small kitchen) and OK magazine. My idea of heaven!
Sx