Wednesday, November 05, 2008

I'm not one for politics normally...

But how could I note post how happy I am that the USA has elected Barack Obama as their president. He's a man I believe in first and foremost, a man who is undoubtedly intelligent, fair, honest and a great leader. And of course, as the first man of colour to be elected to be leader of the free world it's amazing. He's a figurehead, an inspiration to everyone.

However I'm not happy about Prop 8. It seems like it's going to go through. How? Why? I can't understand the hideous unfairness of it. How can a country elect someone who spoke of "young and old, rich and poor, Democrat and Republican, black, white, Hispanic, Asian, Native American, gay, straight, disabled and not disabled - Americans who sent a message to the world that we have never been just a collection of individuals or a collection of Red States and Blue States: we are, and always will be, the United States of America." and who seems to be all about equality and then turn around and be bigoted and discriminatory.

Enough politics. It's been a bit of a hideous week here - a friend died - I don't want to go into it online out of respect for her and her family but needless to say it was a horrible shock and my heart goes out to her family and her young daughter. Another friend lost her father, suddenly through a cardiac arrest. More love to her, her son and her mother and brother. And then to cap it off, on a more trivial note, Rob got his bike stolen. All in one day.

But today I'm trying to be positive. Hoping that Obama will be able to do something about Prop 8 - my ignorance of US politics and legislation is fueling this optimism. I hate that my sister and her wife look like they'll never be recognised legally in the country they call home. I hate that she'll not be able to claim a green card even though she's been with her partner for 14 years. I can't abide it. I can't understand it. Shame on those who voted for Prop 8. Shame.

4 comments:

Tequilamonkey said...

I'm so with you on this. I read in an online friend's blog yesterday that she voted in favour of prop 8! I just don't know what to say to her. She says it's for religious reasons as it is to "protect the union of one man and one woman in marriage" I feel like saying that I wasn't aware I needed protecting, and who is going to protect all those people like your sister who have been prejudiced against! It just drives me mad!

Tequilamonkey said...

Crossing everything here!

http://perezhilton.com/2008-11-06-californias-still-counting-ballots-battle-against-8-not-over

So long, farewell! said...

It makes me so mad too honey. It's shocking that same sex partnerships are not recognised in the states but as the keyword is 'change', let us hope that things truly do.

x

Self-Proclaimed Mistress of Nothing said...

I live in the states and I couldn't be happier that Obama won. (Maybe that's because I voted for him!) I really feel a sense of hope for this country now.



As for the rights of gays... I think it's terrible that a country based on personal freedom denies the right for an individual to LOVE whom they choose. The degree to which religion has entered our government and has effected the rights of our citizens is very troubling. However... I'm not giving up on the hope of true equality!