Sunday, September 07, 2008

Sigh....is it worth it....

Last weekend I was shamed by my friend Vicky - I blogged about it here but basically I took the boys to McD's for sunday lunch while she cooked a proper sunday dinner.....I decided I'd do the works this Sunday - roast chicken with roast veg, yorkshire pud and gravy.

Now I was taught how to do roast dinners by the amazing Moxie about....eek....19 years ago when we lived together as students in Leicester. She wrote out on little cards all the timings and showed me everything.....so now (if I say so myself) I do a pretty mean roast.

However.....things conspired against me. I got a chicken with my regular online shopping but they got me a HUGE one - 2.7 kilos. Which is ok - we love chicken - it will get eaten. And in a way it was lucky as I'd forgotten we had two engagements today - a birthday party from 12-2 and then going round to see a friend at 3.30 for Kaffee and Kuchen (she's German!). So we couldn't have it at lunchtime as I originally planned. I got the chicken ready in between the two events - stuffed the neck with chestnut and cranberry stuffing (my favourite) and got the oven heated - popped it in as we left (Rob stayed behind cos he's antisocial).

Rob was under instruction to baste the bird every 20 minutes or so. I only intended to stay at my friend's for an hour but you know how it goes....so I rang Rob and gave him directions to peel carrots and parsnips and set them to roast. Got home just before 5 which gave me time to put the rest on and make the gravy. I love proper gravy made with the meat juices and veg water. And I put a little bit of brown sugar in as well - tastes divine.

So I made it all, plated it all up.......Oz picked at it. Toby wouldn't eat anything except 1 yorkshire and a potato. I enjoyed mine although I ate it quite quickly with one hand while alternately blowing Oscar's dinner or trying to tempt Toby with morsels....

Now the kitchen is a mess, there's washing up and I'm sweating like a pig even though it's quite miserable and cold outside.

Rob and I could have eaten ours this evening with a bottle of wine and conversation....but I wanted us all to eat together......

But honestly - was it worth it......? I don't think so!

5 comments:

Tequilamonkey said...

Aw honey we've all had those days! I reckon the only problem was that you did it on a day when you already had so much on!

Your roast sounds delicious! Stu does the roasts in this house so today was a very rare thing for us!

Please don't ever compare yourself to other mothers. No one else could be the mother you are to those two gorgeous boys, and the person you are will help to form the people they become. This World needs all us mothers to do things differantly or else everyone would grow up the same and be the same and how dull would that be?! The exuberance and confidence you are imparting to your boys will make them such amazing people!

Love you honey, have that glass of wine anyway and watch "The Producers"...that's what we're about to do! xxxxxxxx

Annie said...

Oh Sal, I know the feeling. Shane likes to eat his big meal mid-day, at lunch time. But the kids have to eat at night regardless. And I so want us all to eat together. Sometimes it feels like I make a meal and Nathan and I are the only one's who eat it...

Your dinner sounds wonderful though. You're making me want roast chicken!

Will you please come post your recipe--at least the gravy-- over on the Kitchen Mirror?

So long, farewell! said...

Glad that card did the trick hun, lol, you do a lovely Roast, you really do.

I so want us to all eat together but it rarely happens and I can't stand the fact we don't have a dining table.. one day though!

Remember it was worth it though - you enjoyed it, lol and you got yummy gravy!

x

Nic said...

Yep, I agree with Moxie. Sod the kids, you enjoyed it!! Sorry if that sounds harsh but sometimes I would cook the most amazing dinner and Lucy would whinge because all she wants is sodding pasta and Jack thinks its too hot (any food hotter than tepid is too hot in his book) and I would just sit there thinking why bother while I rammed my food down my mouth as fast as I could before spending half an hour clearing up but now I think sometimes I will cook what I want and you will all eat it, if you don't like it, you will sit there until I have eaten mine and I will not rush it because you are whinging.
Strangley enough, since I employed this technique everyone likes a roast...its just the arguements over who gets the legs now ;)
xxx

SaraSoup said...

Eh - you're damned if ya do and damned if ya don't.
With Ryan's schedule on the farm and now Austin's schedule with hockey starting.....I am going to have to get creative.

Love ya girl.