Tuesday, November 13, 2007

We're home

Thank you for all the lovely comments. Got discharged today as Toby was doing so well. He came off oxygen last night, was back on it in the night but was off it again this morning and his wheeze finally responded to the drugs and disappeared. He's so HAPPY to be home! Cooing, crawling, standing next to his brother by pulling himself up on the furniture. I'm exhausted but so happy to be home. I'm going to have some yummy dinner (potatoes dauphinoise and some fish), bubble bath and bed.

Rob is even yellower today and really not at all well. That won't change for a while. I've been told the combination of glandular fever (or mono for my American readers) and hepatitis is like being hit by a train then run over by a steam roller. I'm so glad I'm home now so I can look after him.

My mother, as always, has been our saviour these past few days. Even Dad was on child-care duties yesterday as Rob just can't function. It's going to be a hard few weeks till he's better but being in hospital has really made me count my blessings. So many sick babies on the ward - all with breathing problems. A little boy in the bed next to ours had Downs and all sorts of complications - has been in hospital nearly all his life. A baby in the other bed opposite was so congested - lungs full of fluid and really poorly.

So I'm grateful to the universe that my son was only there for a few days and is happy and getting better. Things could have been much worse.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh god I can't beleive I missed all this!
So sorry you guys are having such a tough time but releived your littlest boy is all well and home!
Huge get well soons to Rob and fingers crossed it was a one off for Toby.
Really thinking of you honey! Is there anything we can do to help?

Clare Griffiths said...

So glad Toby is back home! Get well soon to Rob and hopefully catch up soon.

love xxx

Kirsti said...

So glad that you and Toby are back home. Hopefully Rob will rest and continue to improve too. Do they have any idea what caused Toby's wheezing?

Kristina said...

Good to hear that Toby is home and much better! Poor Rob! I know what he's going through :(

Anonymous said...

Just now catching up on all the chaos. Good lord, Sal! I'm so proud of you for holding it together, no matter how shattered and exhausted you may feel. What a horrible double-whammy. I'm so glad Toby's home and improving. Poor Rob! What a rotten illness combo. I had a roommate who had mono and hep. at the same time. It's awful.

I so wish I could come give you a hand.

Anonymous said...

Glad Tobes is back home and healthy and all is looking up. Sending love to Rob for a speedy recovery and that all will soon be well in the Edwards household. lots Uxxx

Anonymous said...

So so glad your lil man is better hun, even though you'll be rushed off your feet, there's no place like home is there. Sending loads of get better wishes for Rob and love and cuddles for you all. E. x

So long, farewell! said...

Blogger wouldn't let me post all day hun but just to say fab that Tobes is home and here's lots of get well vibes for your big lad.

Hope you are doing okay

xxx