Tuesday, November 06, 2007

I made this!

It's my very first toad in the hole - made with apple and rosemary - actually a Tesco website recipe and bloody gorgeous. It's not perfect - the batter should have risen higher - not sure I whisked it enough (Moxie will no doubt tell me as she is the queen of yorkshires) but not bad for a first attempt.

Here's the recipe

Ingredients

* 2 tbsp vegetable oil
* 2 red skinned apples, washed and cored
* 8 Finest pork and leek sausages (spot the fact I only had 6 - didn't seem to matter)
* A few springs of fresh rosemary
* 100 g plain flour
* Pinch of salt
* 2 large eggs
* 150 ml half fat milk
* 150 ml water

Method

1. Preheat the oven to Fan 200degree C/ 400degree F/ Gas Mark 7. Place the oil in a large roasting tin and place in the oven to heat up. Cut each apple into about 8 wedges.

2. Remove the hot roasting tin from the oven add the sausages,apple wedges and rosemary and roast for 10mins or untill beginning to brown. Whilst the sausages cook,place the flour in a bowl with the salt. Make a well in the centre and break in the eggs. Gradually whisk in the milk and water untill the mixture is smooth. Set aside.

3. Remove the roasting tin from the oven and shake well, pour over the batter then return to the oven and bake for 30-35mins or untill golden and risen. Serve with vegetables and gravy.

Rob and Oz (and Toby too) wolfed it down. I recommend it!

I'm turning all domestic in my old age!

No comments: