Tuesday, June 14, 2011

165/365

165/365 by sally_re
165/365, a photo by sally_re on Flickr.

Via Flickr:
It's "Fathers' Story Week" at Oscar's school - it's also National Fathers' Story week too so the school asked Dads to spend some time sharing a favourite story, comic or book with your child. They asked us to send in pictures of this moment and this is the one I took tonight of Rob and Oscar sharing one of Rob's favourite childhood books - The Magic Faraway Tree.

My boys are lucky - they get Daddy reading them a story nearly every night - it's only when he works late or goes out that story time is up to me. I saw a headline last week when up in town that one in five parents is unable to read aloud to their child and it chilled me.

Oscar already has his nose in a book most of the time - he's inherited our love of literature. Toby, although he cannot read independently, still loves to pretend he can, and sits next to his big bruv reading comics or picture books to himself - often remembering verbatim the words in the book if it's a favourite.

Through the years, I kept a stash of my favourite books to pass on to my future children - things like my copy of the Neverending Story in 2 colours with illustrations, Hans Brinker which I loved...but also "Are You There God, It's Me Margaret" which somehow I don't see the boys connecting with.....

No comments: