Saturday, November 28, 2009

Martha Stewart eat your f***ing heart out...

Argh! My life is bonkers at the moment...Have had so much to do, so many commitments.....

This morning....Oscar wakes up in tears saying his neck hurts. Rob said he felt some glands but now Oscar has his chin glued to his chest, refuses to raise his head and says it hurts too much. He's got a bit of a "honky cough" (his words) and I've no doubt he feels a bit rubbish - but he really is milking it. When he thought I wasn't looking his head pops up to see the telly.....

Because I love him, and I'm a sucker, I'm up to my eyes in grated carrot. I was inspired by my stonecutter chum Annie to make breakfast muffins at some point over the weekend and had made the mistake of telling the boys about it- Oz and Toby are rubbish at eating breakfast and Annie came up with this fab recipe and I thought it was a great idea - cake for breakfast!

Now I'm not a great cook and also a lot of Annie's ingredients were complicated (flax seed meal?) and not the sort of thing I have in my cupboards. I found this one instead on the Waitrose website and we happened to have everything in the house....


300g plain wholemeal flour
50g rolled porridge oats, plus extra for decoration

3 heaped tsp baking powder

½ tsp mixed spice

½ tsp ground cinnamon
100g raisins

100g dried apricots, chopped

50g pecans, chopped

50g caster sugar

100ml sunflower oil

150ml natural yogurt

150ml milk

1 medium egg, beaten

2 medium bananas, mashed

1 tsp vanilla extract

2 small apples, grated

1 medium carrot (100g peeled weight), coarsely grated
Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5.

Lightly oil a non-stick muffin pan with 12 large cups (or two six-cup pans).

Combine the first nine ingredients (the dry ingredients) in a large bowl and set aside. In another bowl, mix the remaining (wet) ingredients well. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined.
Spoon into the prepared pans.
Sprinkle with oats and bake for 20 minutes or till a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.

Leave in the tin for 5 minutes, then cool on a rack. Eat when still warm.

You can prepare the dry and wet ingredients the night before. Combine the two in the morning and you'll have a fresh-baked breakfast.


So, before I even had a cup of tea this morning, I was grating apples and carrots and combining ingredients. They are in the oven now. I can smell them and they smell lush.....

Oz is coughing, Toby is whining.....hurry up cakes!!!

1 comment:

Tequilamonkey said...

Morning beautious!
Hope Oscar is better soon and your life gets slightly less bonkers for you!
Muffins sound yummy, I'll definitely be nicking that recipe. I guess flax seed meal is ground up flax seeds? I put them in baking for Jaya sometimes for extra fibre ;)
Love and hugs!