Sunday, March 22, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

I can't help but feel sad though, hearing about Jade's passing. I've been reading a lot of what people are writing today - from Stephen Fry's beautiful comment that she was a Princess D from the wrong side of the tracks to bitter responses to said comment calling her a nobody and a waste of space....

No matter how you felt about her, her chosen career and her publicity filled life, you can't really deny that she was always unashamedly herself - a quality I admired. She was doing her best to ensure her 2 boys would have a life unlike her own. She came from a difficult, deprived background and ended up as a huge star, and also became a role model for young women in a strange way. She's saving lives even as her own ended by encouraging young women to get smears and raising awareness of cancer.

She was exactly 10 years younger than me. Her boys are around the same age as mine. My heart goes out to them.

I had a lovely quiet Mothers Day - didn't really do anything much - had a wonderful lie in, a lovely plant chosen by Oscar when I woke, and a card that he had written all by himself - To Mum, Love Oscar - means so much that he is really writing now and that this is the first card I've received that was written just by him.

I baked cookies - that was about the most productive part of the day. And now I'm going to snuggle up with my husband and count my blessings.

Hope all my Mummy friends had a good day. Sending love to those without their mothers who will be missing them all the more today. And looking up at the sky to see the brightest star shining which Jade promised her boys would be her looking down at them. Sleep well Jade, out of pain and at peace. You'll be missed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a lovely day - piccies of Oz's card please for us proud cyber aunties!

Big hugs

Mox

xxx