Sunday, February 01, 2009

Chinese New Year

Yes I know it was on Monday - but the celebrations in London were today so despite it being literally freezing, and snow starting to fall, Oscar, Rob and I ventured up to London. Toby was happily watching Dora the Explorer with Mum. Oz was very excited. He was also being Ben 10 for most of the journey - showing passengers on the train his omnitrix and confusing everyone.

We got up there and it was packed - you oould hardly move. Rob doesn't really do crowds very well.....so we elbowed our way into Chinatown, Oz saw three dragons who were going from shop to shop - I think they were blessing each building. We got some food from a street vendor - char sui pastries, sui mai dumplings and hot dogs in sweet chinese buns for Oz and Rob. The lanterns were beautiful but it was just too crowded so we headed home after about an hour. Which was enough in zero temperatures!!

On the way back to the Station I got to do something I've been wanting to do since Oz was born - got a picture of him with my favourite statue in London. It's Oscar Wilde (as you can see) reclining on a plinth with the immortal line "We are all of us in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" at his feet. Every time I walk past it, which is usually every time I'm up in town, I always grab his hand for luck. Oscar wasn't exactly named after Mr Wilde but I like to think the old rogue inspired me somehow. So here is Oscar meeting Oscar for the first time. Precious....he was so excited to see HIS name on the statue now that he's learning to read and all....Next Sunday is a bigger adventure. I entered a competition (in Oscar's name) to get tickets to the British premiere of the new Ben10 series. And we won. So next Sunday Rob and Oz will be off to a location in London to meet Ben and Gwen and get goodies galore - very excited - Oz doesn't know yet but considering you can see his Ben10 watch in every picture (he even sleeps with it on), I think he'll be excited....

3 comments:

Kristina said...

Wonderful photos! Thanks for sharing :)

Tequilamonkey said...

Aw wow well done you for taking Oscar up to see the celebrations! We must take our two next year what a great experience! Soo cute he got to see a famous Oscar too :)

So sorry about what happened to Rob. My mind is boggling that a couple of young lads would choose the 6ft 4 guy to pick on...even without knowing he was going to go "Hulk" on them! I hope he scared them rigid and they never do it again. Here's hoping....

So long, farewell! said...

The celebrations look great and I *love* the pic of Oz with Oz. That statue is one of my faves.

Lucky you winning the Ben 10 tickets. Oscar will have a ball!

x