Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Tantrum city!

Toby was UNBEARABLE yesterday - I have to rant (I also have PMT so prepare yourself). We went to Peckham Park which is a place I love. It was bloody cold though and we kept moving - Oz on his bike and Toby on foot. Then we saw a puddle. One unfortunate side effect of Toby's Peppa Pig addiction, while it enables me to put the washing on in peace, it means he's obsessed with "jumping up and down in muddy puddles". Or any puddles. Or any body of water he finds. It was a small one - I didn't mind.

Move on to the playground - the biggest frickin puddle I'd ever seen was there - at least 6 foot across. And of course Toby went straight for it. I'm wearing my fakelike ugg boots (£4 from Primark - bargain!) and of course don't want to get them wet. I finally fish him out and try and distract him on the swings. SCREAMING tantrum. Oz tried to push him instead - SCREAMS....my friend Claire arrived along with pink wellies (rather fetching). Toby doesn't like wellies. Screaming tantrum - getting the idea?

Eventually (after standing next to him while he writhed on the floor for 15 minutes) I picked him up and put him in the puddle. Then he starts to have fun. Then he starts to run around like mad - watched all the while by envious wellie-less children and I was being unsubtly tutted by other parents.....

He was soaked. Drenched. He sat down in the bloody puddle. But he wasn't screaming so I didn't care!!! Claire had a spare pair of trousers - girl ones of course....so Toby spent the rest of the afternoon in the 1 o clock club wearing pink wellies and purple stripey skin tight leggings. Hysterical. Claire has a photo - I'll post it when I get it.

Oz in the meantime was being ok but Toby was still on the edge of tantrumming all afternoon. After they both screamed the cafe down in pursuit of ice lollies (in sub zero temperatures my kids want ice...?) I gave up and headed back to the car. They both fell asleep on the way home - I drove to Savacentre petrol station, filled up the car, bought chocolate and diet coke and sat on the forecourt with the heating on full blast listening to the radio and trying to relax. It felt like my brain was knotted up in stress....

Rob, bless him, put the boys to bed - I started to cook pasta bake (PMT remember?) and managed to smash my favourite glass baking dish. The perfect end to the perfectly crap day. I snuggled on the sofa to watch Britney's big soul bearing film and was thoroughly bored and didn't learn anything about her. She's just like me is she? Bollox. Don't get me started on her....

ANYWAY! Enough rant. Today was better. Tomorrow I'm going to Bromley for Eggnog latte - thank you starbucks for FINALLY giving us the christmas coffee we wanted! I'm eating lots of chocolate as I type.

On Friday last week my lovely husband sacrificed his male pride and had the SNIP. He's still a bit tender but is putting a brave face on it. We keep telling the boys that Daddy has a poorly lap so they can't jump on him.....I'm not going into details but I want to log how proud and grateful I am that he has taken this option so I can come off the pill and stop mucking about with my body chemistry. More men should step up and do this (I'd rant some more about that but I'm spent!)

Oh and one other thing - if you're reading this cos you saw my piece in the NCT broodsheet ... Hello! Leave me a comment....

3 comments:

Sam said...

Hiya Sal - firstly, my apologies as I've not read Blogger blogs in way too long! But I'm not watching ruddy Top Gear for the fifth night in a row so got some catch-up time!

Huge choccy hugs from me for your PMT! Don't mind the tutty mums or the screaming boys. It's that time of the year, my boys are fed up of being kept indoors so you're doing a fab job actually braving the weather and taking them to the park in the first place! I think it's a scientific fact that boys don't feel the cold until they're at least 6 and if there are puddles in sight, then nothing else will do! LJ sat in a muddy puddle in a car park by the beach last year because he couldn't wait to get wet - we dragged him out kicking and screaming, before he realised there was more wet stuff to come. Jacob is learning fast from the bigbro, so no doubt Toby has picked up Oz's pro-wind-up-mummy-moves too! Hopefully the eggnog did the trick and took the edge off your nerves luvvie! And YAY to Rob, what a guy! I'm all for John going for it too...maybe next time! ;)

Clare Griffiths said...

Hurray for Starbucks...

Ignore the tutting mums, they don't really have perfect kids, honest!

I am loving the image of Toby in girlie clothes, I need to see the pic!

You've just reminded me that I need to get my NCT application in, I keep meaning to do it but haven't got round to it. I want to see your piece in BroodSheet!

So long, farewell! said...

Oh hun, huge hugs. I read this after talking to you on the phone. I didn't realise you had been so stressed out.

You'll have to send me the piece you wrote for the NCT as I'm not a member but I'd love to read it.

love and hugs and can't wait for the pic of Toby.

Well done to Rob too!

x